MUMBAI: Anil Kumar Gupta has taken over charge as General Manager, Western Railway today i.e., 9th May, 2017. Prior to this new assignment, he was serving as Additional General Manager, South Central Railway. Anil Kumar Gupta belongs to the 1980 batch of Indian Railway Service of Electrical Engineers (IRSEE).
He completed his graduation (B.E) in Electrical Engineering from Motilal Nehru Regional College of Engineering, Allahabad (MNNIT). He started his career on Indian Railways in 1982 and in over three decades of service, has held several important assignments on various Zones including on Eastern Railway, Western Railway, Central Railway, West Central Railway, North Central Railway and Research Designs & Standards Organization (RDSO).
Commencing his service as Assistant Electrical Engineer at Burdwan, Eastern Railway in 1984, Anil Kumar Gupta went on to serve in several important posts during his career till present. Amongst the assignments he has held are – Chief Workshop Manager, Dahod, Western Railway; Chief Electrical Engineer, Planning, Western Railway; Additional Divisional Railway Manager, Bhopal Division, West Central Railway; Divisional Railway Manager, Jabalpur Division, West Central Railway; Chief Electrical Engineer, North Central Railway; Chief Safety Officer, Eastern Railway and Chief Electrical Engineer, Eastern Railway.
During the course of his tenure, Anil Kumar Gupta also served two stints in RDSO, Lucknow, including as Executive Director/RDSO. He is associated with the trial of WAP (Broad Gauge AC Electric Locomotive for Passenger trains) class Locomotives at 180 Kmph, development of dual voltage AC/DC Locomotives, development of 3 Phase AC EMU’s for Mumbai Suburban System and new Rolling Stock for Kolkata Metro. As Chief Workshop Manager, Dahod, he was involved in augmenting the Mid-Life Rehabilitation facilities for Electric Locomotives. He has keen interest in development of railway technology indigenously.
Anil Kumar Gupta has travelled widely abroad for training and study programs including to the United Kingdom, Germany, China, France & Switzerland.
Anil Kumar Gupta, who took up responsibility as Additional General Manager, South Central Railway on 25th January, 2016 has been instrumental in charting a new course for the Zone in the face of various challenges. Under his stewardship, South Central Railway has registered several major achievements during the last one year, reflecting his quality as a leader.
- Anil Kumar Gupta was instrumental in planning and implementing arrangements to handle the huge rush of rail traffic during Krishna Pushkarams from 11th to 24th August, 2016. The Zone handled the event of mega Krishna Pushkarams, which saw a pilgrim traffic of 46 lakhs, served by around 700 special trains in the month of August, 2016 with success. Over 2500 extra personnel were deputed for the purpose of smooth management of the 12 day pushkaram event, spread over the states of Andhra Pradesh, Telangana and Karnataka. During this pushkaram to ease the pilgrim passengers hand held terminals and mobile ticketing vans were used for issuing the unreserved tickets.
- He was actively involved in the Swachh Rail – Swachh Bharat Abhiyan and led the cleanliness drives that took place at several stations and in trains on the Zone during the nine-day long Swachhta Saptah held from 17th to 25th September, 2016. This drive yielded excellent results on South Central Railway and enhanced its image. This special outreach program was intended to spread wider awareness on sanitation and cleanliness in rail premises and make hygiene a habit amongst the travelling public.
- He was responsible for smooth execution of the commissioning works for the Route Relay Interlocking (RRI) System at Vijayawada in the month of September, 2016, one of the most challenging tasks since Vijayawada is considered to be one of the busiest on Indian Railways. The RRI work which needed extensive planning to ensure minimal disturbance to train services was completed within record time of 3 days. This work, one of the biggest such tasks on Indian Railways ensured that the movement of trains from all the four directions of the country is not hampered, since Vijayawada is the virtual hub to rail operations, connecting all directions with the South.
- A.K.Gupta lead the execution works for restoration of breached tracks at five locations on Nadikude-Guntur section of Guntur Division which suffered damage due to heavy rains, impacting rail services very badly during the month of September, 2016. His acumen and planning enabled bring normalcy and restore the train movements in the shortest possible time by completing the works on a war footing.
- Rail Vikas Shivir, the historical brain storming program undertaken by the Ministry of Railways under the guidance of Hon’ble Prime Minister in November, 2016 saw SCR getting the award as the Best Zone. The Shivir, an exercise to expound new thoughts, ideas and innovations for bettering the Indian Railways involved all Zones. A.K.Gupta proved his caliber as a leader and his dynamism in terms of developing ideas, by being involved and leading all the teams on the Zone during the ideation process and further at the Rail Shivir at Surajkund.
- As the head for Public Grievances machinery of the Zone, Anil Kumar Gupta significantly strengthened the response mechanism for the same, thereby contributing to user satisfaction. In particular, his strategizing of the response mechanism in the light of New and Social Media options such as Twitter, Facebook etc was impeccable.
- The Golden Jubilee celebration of South Central Railway in the year 2016 was a huge success on account of the multiple events organized, under the able planning and guidance of A.K.Gupta. His expertise came to the fore in bringing out a special limited edition “Coffee Table Book” tracing the history of South Central Railway from the earliest times.
- A.K.Gupta was instrumental in the Zone implementing various IT enabled initiatives towards providing better services to the passengers. His persuasive skills led to the successful implementation of “Mobile App for Paperless Unreserved Tickets” on Suburban (MMTS) section of Hyderabad city which was launched on 10th February, 2016. The commissioning of High Speed Wi-Fi services at Kacheguda and Vijayawada on the Zone was a smooth affair, thanks to the co-ordination and work enabled guidance of the Additional General Manager.
- A.K.Gupta has relentlessly pursued the performance graph of SCR by getting involved and leading from the front to motivate all the departments for optimal results. His presence at each and every review meeting, interaction with all Heads of Departments and Divisional Railway Managers, discussions with representatives of the Industry with regard to implementation of Station Re-development plans, intensive inspections etc., have hugely benefited the Zone in terms of enhanced results and perfect management deliverance.
- A.K.Gupta has championed the cause of propagation of Rajbhasha Hindi all over the Zone with zeal. Every minute detail, keen monitoring, stringent checks performed by him, has led to streamlining, bettering and correcting the mistakes / flaws in use of Hindi. This has immensely contributed in SCR attaining the status of being the best in terms of programming and propagating Hindi.
His keen sense of involvement has been visible at every step on the sports arena of SCR. Gupta has been forthcoming with his in depth knowledge on various sports, sharing his thoughts and forever motivating the SCR Sports persons to perform best and bring laurels for the Zone.