Armed robbers loot Varanasi-Ranchi Intercity

Daltonganj (DTO): Armed robbers looted a general bogie of the Dn 1812 Varanasi-Ranchi Intercity Express late on Wednesday. A passenger, identified as Rajinder Mehta (40) of Koireepatra village in Palamu, was one among the 32 persons to be mugged. He later lodged an FIR with the Barkakana GRP police station.

Shahdanand Sharma, officer in-charge of Barkakana GRP, said: “Six robbers armed with kattas, pistol and katari (a type of a sickle) robbed 32 passengers of the general bogie. Mehta was among the robbed passengers and the only one to be hurt by the robbers’ assault.”

The robbers boarded the train at Barwadeeh railway junction in the guise of passengers. No sooner did the train leave the station than they began to rob passengers one by one. Mehta was the first one to have resisted the attack as he was carrying more than Rs 15,000 in cash. He was going to Ranchi for the treatment of his wife. Mehta’s resistance irked the robbers, who injured hurt him with a katari. Fearing further assault, his wife quickly gave away all the cash to the robbers, said sources.

The OC said: “It is feared that the robbers looted around Rs 60,000-62,000 besides snatching 15 to 20 cellphones of the passengers. They got off between Hehegara and Kumandi railway station around 10.30pm on Wednesday by pulling the chain of the train.”

Later, two GRP cops ASI Budhan Bhagat and havildar Dinesh Mehta, who were part of the escort party on the train, reached the bogie where the robbery had taken place.

Sharma said seeing the two policemen, the angry passengers attacked them, injuring the two. The passengers not only assaulted the GRP, but also took them down to Barkakana railway station where they accused the escort police party of laxity.

This is the second train robbery within a week. On December 19, Bhopal-Howrah Dn Express train was robbed. With the year coming to an end, the youths are taking to crimes by way of robbing passengers of express trains in the hope of laying hands on big cash, which they can later on January 1. There has been no detention of any suspect so far.