SECUNDERABAD: Vinod Kumar Yadav, General Manager, South Central Railway held a Press Conference at Rail Nilayam, Secunderabad today i.e. 10th April, 2018 to brief the media on the Annual performance of South Central Railway during the last Financial year 2017-18. He highlighted the achievements of SCR in all areas viz., Infrastructural development, Safety & Security, Passenger & Freight Earnings, Water conservation, Green Initiatives, Digital Initiatives, HR initiatives etc.
SCR has registered a substantial growth in all areas of operation during the last fiscal, on the strength of various innovative measures. Priority has been accorded to Infrastructure development, maximizing rolling stock utilization, enhancing thrust on safety and focusing on HR initiatives, the General Manager stated.
This has earned recognition for South Central Railway, with the railway Board awarding the most coveted ‘Pandit Govind Ballabh Pant sheild’ for registering overall best performance on Indian Railways, during the year. Four departments viz., Commercial, Electrical Engineering, Environment & Cleanliness and Stores are receiving best efficiency shields at Indian Railways level for recording the sterling performance. Lallaguda Workshop is adjudged as Best Workshop (Rolling stock) and the Running room at Visakhapatnam being maintained by Vijayawada Division is selected for best running room shield at National level. In total, South Central Railway is going to receive seven efficiency shields.
During the Press meet General Manager elaborated the achievements of SCR and also said that on 10th April,2018, he met K.T.Rama Rao, Hon’ble Minister for IT, Municipal Administration and Urban Development, Govt. of Telangana to discuss various Rail developmental issues. He informed that fruitful discussions were held with Hon’ble Minister about proposed construction of Road over Bridges (RoBs)/Road under Bridges (RuBs) in twin cities (Hyderabad and Secunderabad), developing of terminal stations in synchronisation with the Master plan of HMDA, land issues for the upcoming Railway terminals at Cherlapalli and Nagulapalli and for the proposed POH terminal at Kazipet. General Manager said that the cost enhancement proposal for the extension of MMTS phase – II project upto Raigir station was accepted in principle by the Hon’ble Minister. He expressed his happiness for the optimistic response from the Govt. of Telangana and it was decided to have another meeting shortly to sort out the issues.
John Thomas, Additional General Manager; N. Madhusudana Rao, Principal Chief Operations Manager; M.G.Sekharam, Principal Chief Commercial Manager were amongst the officials present. Earlier, M. UmaShankar Kumar, Chief Public Relations Officer, SCR welcomed the Media.
Achievements of SCR during the last Financial Year 2017-18
Traffic Volume and Earnings :
- During the last fiscal (2017-18), Gross Originating Earnings registered an amount of Rs.13673Cr, which is +12% more as compared with last financial year (Rs.12173Cr)
- SCR carried 379 Million originating passengers around 10.4 lakh passengers per day. The Passenger earnings are Rs. 3861Cr during this period registering a growth of +8.3%.
- In the freight segment, Zone has loaded 103.048 Million Tones, with an earnings of Rs.9260Cr, recorded an increase of +6.4% in loading and +16% in earnings as compared with previous financial year (96.823 Million Tones loading and Rs.7975Cr freight earnings).
- 113 Kms of New Railway Line has been completed in the last fiscal. This includes
- 73 Kms of Humnabad–Gulbarga New Railway Line part of Bidar–Gulbarga New Railway Line project;
- 21 Kms of Kadapa–Pendlimarri New Railway Line part of Kadapa- Bengaluru New Railway Line;
- 19 Kms of Mathampalli–Raghavapuram New Railway Line as a part of Jaggayyapet–Janpahad – Vishnupuram New Railway Line.
- 17 Kms of Doubling completed between Parbhani–Mirkhel as a part of Parbhani–Mudhked Doubling Project.
- 09 Kms of Third Line completed between Mancherial–Peddampet Third Line Project including construction of major bridge on river Godavari.
- A record 600 Route Kms was electrified in the last fiscal.
- The sections completed are
- Guntakal – Chiksugur -137 RKms,
- Guntur – Guntakal – 325 RKms,
- Guntakal – Dhone – 97 RKms,
- Gooty –Pendekallu – 28 RKms and
- Secunderabad – Bollarm – 13 RKms.
- Electrification of Guntur–Guntakal and Wadi–Guntakal major sections facilitated to introduce electric traction engines for seamless running of trains.
- The prestigious Rail Bogie Karkhana at Yadgir has been completed in the record time and started functioning from last fiscal on wards.
- An innovative Bolster Spring changing Gadget for coaches has been developed by Vijayawada division. This will help in reducing the detention time to coaches for the activities like changing springs to coaches etc.,
Safety and Security:
- SCR accords top priority to safety and security. No major incident affecting passenger safety was reported in the last fiscal.
- To avoid any untoward incidents at Unmanned Level Crossing (UMLCs), SCR has taken up the task of elimination of UMLCs on war footing. Towards achieving ‘No unmanned level crossing’, 137 such crossings have been eliminated in the last fiscal. In addition, a total of 20 manned level crossings were removed. At present there are 131 UMLCs on the Zone excluding 20 UMLCs on Kakinada – Kotipalli section, which are planned to eliminate in the current fiscal.
- To strengthen safety at manned Level Crossing gates surveillance cameras were installed at 02 LC gates on trial basis and it is proposed to extend the same on phased manner.
- SCR Zone is taking active part in conducting the trials for the indigenously designed TCAS equipment to strengthen safety in train running.
- Construction of Foot Over Bridges is now brought under safety aspect and in the last fiscal a total of 03 FOBs was constructed for easy mobility of passengers from one platform to other and it is proposed to construct new / additional FOBs in a large scale.
- Security has been strengthened in trains by deploying RPF/GRP personnel on escort duty in all the important identified express trains on regular basis resulted in reduction theft cases in trains.
- SCR has introduced 04 new originating train services, which include 2 prestigious Humsafar Express and 09 Train services were extended, which include Machilipatnam Express up to Bidar and Kolhapur Express up to Manuguru. Recently, Goutami and Cocanada Express were extended up to Lingampalli.
- To cater to the ever increasing passenger rush, 93 coaches were permanently augmented by 45 train services during last FY.
- In the last year, a total of 1454 special trains were operated and 7237 extra coaches were attached by regular trains for the benefitting 19.21 lakh passengers
- At Lingampalli station recently ‘Other End Maintenance’ facility was inaugurated to ease the maintenance of extended trains to Lingampalli.
Energy Conservation and Green initiatives:
- All the stations and service buildings over the Zone are converted into 100% LED lit and SCR is the first Zone on Indian Railways to achieve this target. With this annual savings of 46.5 lakh units of electrical energy and an amount of Rs 393 lakhs per annum will be saved.
- During the last fiscal a total of 3.3 MWp solar panels, 125 day light pipes and 6700 LPD water heaters were installed. With this on the Zone a total of 5.4 MWp solar panels, 394 day light pipes and 207500 LPD water heaters are available. This results in savings of 91.4 lakh units of energy and an amount of Rs. 595 lakhs per annum.
- All these efforts are helping in reduction of carbon emission to a tune of 4919 tonnes.
- SCR has bagged 02 National Energy conservation awards from Ministry of Power in Office building sector, General category sector etc.,
- For the effort being done by the Zone towards Green environs, Green Co rating has been given to Workshops at Lallaguda, Rayanapadu and Tirupati. In addition, Rail Nilayam, Hyderabad Bhavan and Secunderabad station are also certified with Green Co rating.
- Zone has taken up the water conservation measures in a big way, in this direction several initiatives were taken up such as construction of 37 wells, water harvesting pits at 389stations, roof top water harvesting at 885 buildings, rejuvenation of 39 old water ponds and rejuvenation of 17 heritage wells etc.
- Water recycling plants are made operational at Secunderabad, Hyderabad, Kacheguda and Tirupati.
- Water auditing has been taken up at all the major stations.
- The average yielding is 15 Lakh Liters per day with annual savings of around 10 Cr.
Digital India initiatives
- Wi-Fi facility has been introduced at 28 important A-1 and A category stations and 45 Railway stations with rural background in the last fiscal. With this, a total of 82 stations over the Zone are being provided with high speed Wi-Fi facility offering world class experience to the passengers.
- An innovative mobile app ‘NavRas’ (Navigation for Railway Station) for navigating the facilities available at station and ‘Rail Station Info’ app has been developed at Kacheguda station.
- Guntakal Division has developed a QR code on its paintings at Dharmavarm and Anantapur stations. The passengers alighting at these stations will be able to know the tourist important places in and around these stations by capturing the QR code in their mobile.
- Kacheguda station has been declared as first DigiPay station on Indian Railways, and 11 more stations are also declared as digipay stations.
- First of its kind, a mega passport mela (Mee Kosam) has been organized at Rail Nilayam in collaboration with Ministry of External Affairs for the benefit of Railway employees and their family members to get passport easily.
- Zone has organized International tour to Singapore and Malaysia for Group C and D employees at highly subsidized rates.
- For the convenience of unemployed Railway employees’ children, a mega job mela (Mana Kosam) has been conducted at Secunderabad in association with several private firms, for which enormous response has been received and around 5000 applicants were offered a job by the participating companies.
- To resolve all the service related issues of railway employees Mana Kosam facilitation hub has been inaugurated at Rail Nilayam
- All the Group C and D staff working in all the departments over the Zone are being nominated for Project ‘Saksham’, a comprehensive training programme at various training centers to upgrade their skills.
- For the first time, a MOU has been signed with Indian School of Business (ISB) to impart training to Officers of SCR. First workshop on leadership development for 3 days was attended by 51 officers. It is proposed to continue the same for the remaining officers.
- Women empowerment is the key for the equality in the society. To encourage the women employees talent and to boost the morale and self confidence among themselves all the train related operations at important stations like Begumpet, Vidyanagar, Chandragiri, Ramavarappadu and Phirangipuram are declared as total women employees working stations.
- To enhance the passenger comforts and facilities at station and in trains, an amount of Rs. 63 Crs has been spent in the last fiscal for provision of various amenities and facilities to the passengers.
- 07 of our stations take a place in the identified 90 stations over Indian Railways for redevelopment. Out of the seven identified stations Tirupati and Nellore stations will be developed by NBCC and the remaining five stations Warangal, Vijayawada, Guntur, Kurnool and Guntakal will be developed by the Zonal Railway. The works for redevelopment includes improvements to station facades reflecting the local culture and history, development of circulating areas and augmenting the additional amenities etc., it is targeted to complete all these works by the end of next financial year.
- For the benefit of ‘Divyangjan’ Passengers Guntur Division has developed a foldable, movable ramp and wheel chair to board and alight the train. It is proposed to extend the same in all the trains.
- Zone is providing Lifts and Escalators in a big way, for the convenience of senior citizens and sick passengers. In the last fiscal, a total of 13 lifts at 09 stations and 05 escalators at 04 stations were provided. With this now on the Zone a total of 53 lifts are available at 23 stations and 43 escalators are available at 16 stations.
- To enhance cleanliness, On Board Housekeeping Service (OBHS) is provided in 67 pairs of express trains and proposals are under process for bringing 07 more trains under OBHS. ‘Clean My Coach’ SMS service for travelling passengers has been implemented for trains under OBHS.
- To keep Station premises clean and hygienic and also towards environmental protection, fitment of bio-toilets is on track to achieve 100% implementation by the end of 2018.
- During the last fiscal two mechanized laundries were commissioned at Tirupati and Kakinada under BOOT model to meet the additional requirement and to ensure supply of quality linen to passengers
- Beautification of railway stations took the aesthetically pleasing route. A host of railway stations including Secunderabad, Kacheguda, Rajahmundry, Anantapur and Dharmavaram have been beautified with exemplary beautiful art, paintings and murals conveying the local culture.
- A total of 02 stations were developed as Adarsh stations in the last fiscal, with this a total of 65 stations were developed as Adarsh stations on the Zone.