Chandausi: Northern Railway General Manager AK Puthia conducted an inspection of Zonal Railway Training Institute (ZRTI), Chandausi, on Monday.
With increase in nationalistic fervour, however Indians refused to admit the superiority of Europeans and Anglo-Indians over them in intelligence and general ability, and continued to represent for higher posts.
The Islington Public Services Commission for India considered these claims and recommended in 1915 that until such time as suitable arrangements were made for the recruitment for whole railway service in India, 50%of the appointments made in India should go to pure Indians. The need for training facilities £11′ Indians, either in India or abroad, was emphasized,
After the First World War and with the institution of political reforms in 1921, the insistence of the Indian public for Indianisation of all services became irresistible.
The Acworth committee fully sympathized with what they thought was a natural grievance. They found that none of the highest posts were occupied by Indians and very few of the higher. Even in the subordinate posts, the position was no better. The Government of India was advised to establish the minimum percentage of Indians to be reached within a fixed period. Adequate training facilities for technical training and extension of educational arrangements in all branches of Railway’s operations. economic and commercial organizations were, at the same time, urged not only with a view’ to Indianization, but on account of the experience of other countries of the increase in efficiency of subordinates and officers that followed from a progressive and continuous education of staff.
In 1921-22 the council at state legislative assembly emphasized the necessity of taking early steps to increase the number of Indians in the higher grade of service of the state-managed railways and of devising means to secure the adoption of a similar policy by companies managing State Railways. The Govt. of India accepted the resolution and agreed to increase the number of Indians, in so fgar as such increase was consistent with efficiency and economy. The Railway companies expressed their agreement with the Govt. policy.
The Transportation School at Chandausi was opened on 2nd March, 1925 was therefore, the logical outcome of the demand of Indians for more responsible and better¬ paid positions in the Railways and gradual acceptance of this demand by the British rulers. This was an outcome of the recommendations of a special officer, who examined the question of training of staff particularly of the junior officers and upper subordinates.
Initially training used to be imparted to supervisors and Railway officers at Chandausi. Subsequently officers’ training was shifted to Dehradun in 1930 and later to Railway Staff College, Vadodara in 1952. Training for newly promoted group ‘B’ officers continued to be organized at Z. TC., Chandausi until January 1996 after this, this training was also centralized at R.S.C. Vadodara. However, training for IRTS probationers is still organized here for ASM and Guard’s phase.
The institution was first named as Railway School of Transportation and headed by Principal upto 31.10.1927 when the Principal was re-designated as superintendent. The first Principal of this institution was Mr G.R.Dain, who served during 16.6.1925 to 10.11.1925. The School was headed by Britishers upto 12.1.1938, Mr. D.Huglles being the last Superintendent. Shri Laxman Prasad was the first Indian Superintendent of the School. The Superintendent was again re-designated as Principal with effect from 25.11.1964. The name of Railway School of Transportation was also changed to Zonal Training School w.e.f. 2.4.1953. The Zonal Training School was further renamed as Zonal Training Centre in 1992.
In addition to Traffic and Commercial Deptt., this training centre earlier organized training of staff belonging to other Deptts. Also, viz. Engg.,Mech., S & T, etc. With the development of training facilities at other places, technical training for Engg., Mech., and S & T staff was decentralized, i.e., CETA, Kanpur for Engineering staff in1986, S. T.C. Kanpur for Mechanical staff and S & T T C, Ghaziabad for S & T staff in 1955. However, Training to running staff of Mechanical Department in Transportation Rules is still being imparted at Z.T.C., whereas steam loco training has been dispensed with at Z.T.C. in 1994. Presently, ZTC is organizing training primarily for the Transportation and Commercial staff at various levels viz. Initial, Promotional and Refresher for group ‘C’ categories viz. ASM, Guard.TNC Switchman, TI/SS. Controllers, Shunting staff, T.C., Comml. Clerk Enq.-cum-Reservation Clerk ,Traffic and Commercial Apprentices etc. as per the approved modules of Railway Board.
The Zonal Railway Training Institute. Chandausi was setup in 1925 as Railway School of Transportation under East India Railway and is the oldest training Institute of Indian Railways. Shri G.R.Dain was its first Principal. Shri Laxman Prashad, was the first Indian officer to head the School as Superintendent in 1938.
The nomenclature of the School has also undergone many important changes. The original name was Railway School of Transportation which was changed to Zonal Training School in 1953 and to Zonal Training Centre in 1994, finally to its present nomenclature as Zonal Railway Training Institute in 19-Nov-2003.This is an ISO 9001:2000 CERTIFIED Training institute.
Initially training was imparted to both the officers and supervisors of Traffic and Commercial Department as also to the staff of Civil Engineering, Mechanical and Signal & Telecommunication Departments. However, Training of Officers of Indian Railways was shifted in 1930 to Dehradun and later in 1953 to R.S.C., Vadodra. In 1986, training for Civil Engg. Staff was Shifted to Engg. Trg. Centre, Kanpur. Similarly in 1995, training for Mechanical and S&T staff was shifted to STC, Lucknow and S&T Trg. Centre, Ghaziabad respectively.
Presently the Institute caters primarily to the training of Group ‘C’ staff of Transportation, Commercial & Account departments and the running staff of Mechanical department for their transportation training. Training is imparted at Initial, Promotion and Refresher stages. In addition some special courses are also arranged. The training jurisdiction of the Institute extends over Northern Railway and North Central Railway. Zonal Railway Training Centre, Chandausi has a sprawling 87 acre campus accredited with ISO 9001 for excellence in imparting multi-faceted training to Traffic, Mechanical & Accounts departments.
The ZRTI has academic facilities comprising of 20 class rooms (16 lecture rooms & 4 Examination halls) & 4 libraries (General, Hindi, Operating & Commercial). The class rooms have a total normal seating capacity of 750 trainees. The class rooms are equipped with state of art training aids like interactive white boards, LCD Projectors, Projecting Station along with a computer in each class room. These facilities give vital contribution in imparting quality education which has higher retention in the memories of trainees. The training quality directly affects the ‘Safety’ of train operations in the field by the staff undergoing training.
For extracurricular activities, the Institute has various functionally vibrant committees such as Academic Council, Cultural Committee, Quizzing committee, Sports and Games committee, etc. These Committees organize various events regularly for recreation and talent promotion of the trainees. Film shows are organized on Saturday for entertainment of the trainees. Canteen and PCO facility are also available in the campus. A Mess Committee comprising of Class Representatives and office Bearers manages messing arrangement of the trainees. A Primary Health Centre is also functioning under Sr.Divisional Medical Officer.
The Institute acts as the nodal think tank on safety related issues and regular seminars and workshops are organized involving Trainees, Faculty Members, Supervisors and officers for providing inputs for policy making to the Railway administration. Fire fighting training by demonstration is also provided regularly. The institute is headed by Principal (JAG) assisted by Vice Principal, Prof. Accounts, and 27 Instructors from Transportation, Commercial and Mechanical field.