Google Pay users can browse for train options, book tickets and also cancel them through the App.
NEW DELHI: In what could become a major use case of Google Pay (earlier named Tez) users in India, the digital payments app will allow railways ticket booking through its platform.
The service is being powered by Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC).
In a statement the company said that the feature will be made available in the travel and transit section of the application and can be used by smartphone users across Android and iOS.
Google Pay users can also browse for train options, book tickets and even cancel them through the app. Additionally users can also check seat availability, journey duration also compare travel time.
“Two out of every three transactions on Google Pay come from 3,00,000 of India’s towns and villages, well beyond India’s largest metros. The train ticket booking feature addresses an important need for Indian users, right within the app and is another step to making the lives of our users easier and more convenient with Google Pay,” said Ambarish Kenghe, Director, Product Management, Google Pay.
Leveraging the success with cab and bus bookings on the Google Pay app, the California headquartered search engine giant intends to scale up train bookings massively as well.
How to book train tickets in India straight from the Google Pay App
Google Pay is available both on iOS and Android. The money will be deducted directly from your bank account, so you won’t need any additional apps for train booking.
Before we tell you how you can book a train ticket, make sure that you have a working IRCTC (Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation) account. If you don’t, you can create one during the booking process or sign up here.
- Open Google Pay app on your phone, scroll down to the Business section, and tap on the Trains icon.
- Tap on Book Train Tickets.
- Select your origin and destination with the date of travel and General/Ladies quota to search for trains. Note that Tatkal ticket booking is not available at the moment.
- From the list of trains, you can check availability, and select a class to book the ticket.
- Once you select a class of ticket, you’ll have to enter your details like IRCTC ID, name, contact number, and age.
- After that, you’ll be prompted to pay through your Google Pay UPI account, and enter the password for the IRCTC account in the subsequent steps.
Google Pay has added features to even cancel the ticket or check train status directly from the app.