KRISHNARAJAPURAM/HUBBALLI: Himanshu Sharma of South Western Railway became the 47th Grand Master of India by crossing 2500 rating during 1st Sardar Prakash Singh Memorial Fide Rating Chess Event held from 17thApril 2017 to 22nd April 2017 at Sonipat, Haryana. He is the 5th from the Indian Railways and 1st from the State of Haryana to achieve the Grand Master title.
Himanshu Sharma joined Diesel Loco Shed of Krishnarajapuram of South Western Railway in May 2012 under sports quota as International Master in Chess.
Himanshu Sharma learnt the game of Chess from his father Virender Lal Sharma. His mother Smt.Krishna Sharma helped him a lot with guidance essential to achieve the Goal.
He was an active player of Haryana after winning the Haryana Senior Chess Championship at the age of 13 and progressed thereafter convincingly.
He is an active player of Indian Railways Team and performing consistently well after joining the Railways and has won laurels in several tournaments. Few details of International and National Chess Events in which he participated successfully are as follows:-
- Finished 1stin Asian Cities Chess Championship-2015 in Srilanka and Individually Won 2nd Board Prize in First Board for Dubai Cup.
- Finished 2ndin 35th National Team Open Chess Championship in Goa in the year 2015 playing for Railways-A Team & in Hyderabad in the year 2013 playing for Railways Team-B.
- Finished 3rdin 2nd International Chess Tournament in Nepal in the year 2014.
- Finished 5thin Nagpur Improvement Trust International Grandmasters Open Chess Tournament in 2012.
- Finished 3rdin 7th Mayors Cup in Mumbai 2014 and secured his First “GRANDMASTER NORM”.
- Achieved Second Grand master Normin 8th KIIT International Chess Festival – 2015 in Bhubaneshwar , Orissa on May 2015.
He participated in 5 continuous International Catalan Chess Circuit 2016 which started from 25th June 2016 till 12th August 2016. These five highly acclaimed international Chess Championships helped him to get his final grand master norm. He achieved the third and Final Grand Master Norms in XXIV Open International Ciutat De Montacada in Spain on July 2016.
After which, he needed to fulfill the RATING criteria to get the “GRANDMASTER” Title. This Tour helped him to gain Maximum Rating.
Then, he won Jaipur Chess event finishing with perfect 10 out of 10 points in Dec. 2016. Next he participated in 37th National Team Chess Championship playing Under Railways Team-A in Bhopal with perfect 7 out of 7 and the rating was 2493.
Then, he played in 1st Sardar Prakash Singh Memorial FIDE Rating Chess Event which started from 17thApril 2017 till 22nd April 2017 where, at the 7th match, he secured the maximum Rating of his Chess Carrier i.e., 2502.20 and thus crossed the barrier of 2500 to become the 47th Grandmaster of India.
The Journey was never easy for him right from the beginning from the Rohtak city. His pure dedication and hard work has enabled him to achieve this prestigious title. Sharma thanked his parents, relatives, friends and Railway Officials for their extended support in achieving this prestigious title.
Officials of South Western Railway stated that the Zonal Railway takes pride in his achievement of becoming Grand Master and will extend him full support to ensure continued success. Himanshu Sharma is another example of the importance accorded to nurturing sports in Railways.