Doubling of Hotgi–Kudgi has been taken up by S.W.Railway under Customer Funding Model with M/s.NTPC releasing an amount of Rs.946 Crore for the project – the first such project on Indian Railways!
HUBBALLI: South Western Railway has recently commissioned a New Crossing Station at Kudgi with 4 lines, which is a part of Hotgi-Kudgi-Gadag track doubling project.
- The doubling project from Hotgi-Kudgi-Gadag (284 km) has been taken up by the Zone after sanctioned by Railway Board in 2014-15 at an anticipated cost of Rs.1618 Crore (completion cost estimated at Rs.2058 crore) for which necessary clearances have been received in October 2015 from the Cabinet Committee for Economic Affairs chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi.
- Doubling of Hotgi–Kudgi has been taken up under Customer funding model with M/s.NTPC. An amount of Rs.946 Crore has been deposited by M/s.NTPC towards the cost of Doubling of the stretch between Hotgi-Kudgi (134 km) and the remaining amount of Rs.1107.58 crore will be funded through the Gross Budgetary Support of Ministry of Railways or Extra Budgetary Resources or both.
- This is the first such project in Indian Railways, wherein Customer/beneficiary of the project is contributing to the cost of project.
- A number of Integrated Steel Plants/Power Plants/Cement Plants are coming up along the Hotgi-Kudgi-Gadag route.
- This doubling work will provide the necessary line capacity for introduction of additional trains and smooth movement of rakes to/from the industries/power plants.
- This will also boost overall development of the region.
- In view of the industrial activities taking place in the area, demands are also being received for running of additional train services through this route.
- Hotgi-Kudgi-Gadag route is a single line rail link between Guntakal-Pune-Mumbai and Hospet-Hubli-Goa rail routes. This is an important rail link connecting the cities of Bangalore and Mumbai.
- NTPC is setting up a 4000 MW Thermal Power plant at Kudgi in Vijayapura district. Work is in full swing to commission the first phase of the same (3×800=2400 MW) by June 2017. Massive infrastructure development is envisaged on commissioning this plant. This will create more jobs and boost business in North Karnataka.
- To facilitate Rail connectivity for supply of raw materials & Coal to NTPC plant, new Crossing Station at Kudgi with 4 lines has been commissioned. The unique feature of Kudgi crossing station is an elevated station building over Railway Track which is first of its kind in Southern India. This has been planned to avoid land acquisition and complete work early.
- Stoppage has been provided at Kudgi for one passenger train.
- To increase line capacity of the section to handle increasing traffic, 4 existing crossing stations i.e. Minchnal, Indi Road, Lachyan & Tadwal will be provided with additional running lines (one at Each Station).
- Contracts valuing Rs.539 Crore for earthwork for entire project of 284 km, bridge works, ballast, Signal & Telecom accommodation works in Hotgi-Kudgi-Gadag section have been awarded and works are in progress.
- Till date, approx. 24 lakh Cubic Metre of earthwork on formation (bank and cutting) has been executed.
Kudgi-Hotgi (134 km) doubling is targeted for completion by 2019-20 & entire 284 Km section from Hotgi to Gadag will be made double line by 2020-21.
However some Rail enthusiasts and critics have already started blogging as to where is the platform for the newly constructed Crossing Station with 4 Rail Lines at Kudgi.