NEW DELHI: Railway passengers have reaffirmed their immense faith on Indian Railways as shown in the enormous increase in number of travellers during the Financial Year 2016-17. 8,221 Million Passengers travelled on Indian Railways during the year as against 8,151 Million Passengers during the previous financial year, which is more by a whopping number of 70 Million Passengers.
The fourth largest rail network in the world, Indian Railways is running around 13,500 passenger trains every day to serve the Nation. The total earnings of passenger services is estimated to be around Rs.47,400 Crore during the financial year which is the highest ever passenger earning record in the history of Indian Railways. These passenger earnings are Rs..2,000 Crore higher than previous year. The growth in the sector of passenger business shall be attributed to the dynamic policies adopted by Hon’ble Minister for Railways Suresh Prabhakar Prabhu. The negativity has been seized and positive growth in the number of passengers and earnings has started during the fiscal 2016-17.
Some of the highlights on Passenger Business Sector are:-
- New Services: Indian Railways introduced 87 new train services to facilitate passengers, 51 trains were extended to run more distance and 5 train services were run with increased frequency. This includes introduction of 4 Humsafar express trains, 2 Antyodaya trains, 10 DEMU and 5 MEMU trains.
- Augmentation: Indian Railways attached 589 coaches in regular trains, generating an additional capacity of 43,420 berths.
- Special Trains: Indian Railways operated about 31,438 trips of special trains services on various occassions to clear extra rush of passengers.
- Stoppages: 293 new stoppages have been provided for the convinience of passengers.
- Speeding up of trains: 350 trains have been speeded up to rationalize the time taken for transportation of the passengers. 104 trains have been converted to superfast express trains for speedy transportation.
- New rakes: 34 pairs of trains have been replaced with LHB rakes by utilizing 42 new LHB rakes.
- Ticket checking: 9.75 lakh ticket checking cases were registered against ticket less travellers to comfort genuine travellers, which is 6% more than last year. Ticket checking earnings recorded Rs. 58 crore more than last year. Total earning from ticket checking is estimated to be Rs. 950 crore. This is the highest ever.