CHENNAI: In order to get Kerala connected, trains are run to various destinations through the available diverted route of Erode, Dindigul, Karur, Tirunelveli and Nagercoil. Many specials are run between Ernakulam to Trivandrum via Alleppey as the route between kayankulam via Kottayam to Ernakulam is suspended in view of floods and landslides. Ernakulam – Shoranur section via Aluva continue to remained suspended in view of damages of track at various places. Trains are also run between Palakkad to various destinations to enable passengers to move daily. Kozhikkode and Tirur is cleared on war foot basis and efforts are on to restore Tirur – Kuttipuram section.
Higher level meeting of Principle Chief Operations Manager, Chief Engineers, Mechanical Engineers, Principle Chief Signal and Telecom Engineer is held at frequent intervals by GM and AGM to review the situation and provide all direction and support to Palakkad and Trivandrum Divisions. Railway employees and staff are deployed at all stations.
Flood Relief Measures & Assistance to State Government and Stranded Passengers by Railways
- To evacuate the stranded passengers 15 passenger special trains (10 in Palghat Division and 5 in Trivandrum Division) were operated on 17-8-18 and 21 passenger special trains (14 in Palghat Division and 7 in Trivandrum Division) on 18-8-18 were operated.
- 2,580 cartons containing 30,960 one litre Rail Neer water bottles handed over to District Collector, Palakkad on 18-8-18 by Divisional Railway Manager, Palakkad.
- All catering stalls are being kept opened round-the-clock to cater the needs of stranded passengers at major Railway stations. Catering units are also having adequate quantity of stocks with them.
- Co-ordinating with local NGO’s for distribution of food packets at Shoranur and Kozhikode Railway stations for the stranded passengers.
- Emergency help desk are being operated at Palakkad, Kozhikode, Shoranur, Kannur, Mangalore Central, Trivandrum, Erankulam, Kochuveli, Kollam, Thrissur and Alleppey Railway Stations for assisting passengers. Emergency help line numbers are shared with District Authorities.
- Emergency medical care Centres at various stations including Shoranur, Nagercoil, Trivandrum, Kollam and Ernakulam Railway Stations are functioning for stranded passengers.
- Nearby schools and temple halls have been arranged for accommodating stranded passengers at Shoranur and Kozhikode.
- Accommodations have been arranged to the transit passengers at Pattambi and Pallipuram Panchayat community halls with the help of District authorities.
- Liaisoned with Kerala State Road Transport Corporation (KSRTC) for road bridging of passengers stranded at various stations including Palakkad, Kozhikode & Tirur Railway stations.
- Regular and continuous announcements are being ensured at all Railway Stations on availability of trains to facilitate passengers for further onward movement.