Ministry of Railways extends all possible help to people of Kerala to combat floods
THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: Due to unprecedented intense rain during south west monsoon during the last one week, and consequent opening of about 36 dams in state of Kerala, 3 Divisions of Southern Railway were severely affected with heavy flash floods, land slips, boulder falling on track etc from 16.08.2018 as detailed below:-
- In Thiruvananthapuram Division, Water level rose above danger level across 11 bridges, track got submerged at 3 locations, embankment washed away at 3 locations, Earth slips occurred at 7 locations over various sections.
- In Palakkad Division, Water level rose above danger level across 10 bridges and track got submerged at one location.
- In Madurai Division, earth slip and falling of boulders occurred at 6 locations.
- Railway team worked with dedication round the clock to clear the hurdles in the flood hit sections and all sections in the main route of Kerala were opened 20th August 2018 as below:
- Thiruvananthapuram(TVC) to Nagarcoil(NCJ) section was suspended from 0700 hrs of 15.8.2018 and was given fit from 09.30 hrs of 16.8.2018.
- Ernakulam(ERS) – Kottayam(KTYM) suspended from 1600 hrs of 16.8.18, and given fit from 20 hrs of 19.08.2018.
- Ernakulam(ERS) – Shoranur(SRR) suspended from 1200 hrs of 16.8.18, and was given fit from 2315 hrs of 19.08.2018.
- Palakkad(PGT) – Shoranur(SRR) suspended from 1600hrs of 16.8.18 and was given fit at 0815hrs of 18.08.2018.
- Shoranur(SRR) – Kozhikkode(CLT) suspended from 1600hrs of 16.8.18 and was given fit at 0845 hrs of 19.8.18.
- Kollam(QLN) –Punalur(PUU) section was given fit on 20.08.2018.
- Punalur(PUU)-Senkottai(SCT) and Thrissur(TCR)- Gururvayur(GUV) branch lines with heavy damages and falling of large amounts of boulders are also being attended on war foot basis, likely to be ready within two three days.
- A total number of 9 track machines were deployed round the clock to repair the tracks.
- 7 special trains carrying boulders, sand and ballast were sent for the restoration of affected track and embankment portions.
- HQ and Divisional team of about 30 Officers, 45 Supervisors and about 450 Railway Staff worked round the clock braving rain and water at adverse conditions with dedication and sincerity to restore the tracks on priority to give connectivity to state of Kerala at this critical time.
- Almost All the train services except for few for want of pairing rakes are restored from today.