Sitamarhi (SMI): Train services between Muzaffarpur and Sitamarhi in Bihar were disrupted on Thursday following a bomb explosion triggered by Maoists on the railway track. The blast caused a two-foot deep ditch on the rail track.
Train services will remain suspended on the route till the route from Muzaffarpur to Sitamarhi is sanitized and the track declared safe. Railway SP Vinod Kumar said an FIR had been lodged in Muzaffarpur district in this connection.
Some villagers said over 50 Maoists had gone to that site to trigger the explosion. Many of them were in police uniform, the villagers said. ASP East Rakesh Kumar and the ASP (operations) Rana Brajesh reached the site to probe. The police have recovered a blasted cylinder, a remote control device and some wires from the place of occurrence.
Additional SP Ashok Kumar Singh said the railway administration has cleared the affected line for restoring the movement of trains after initial inspection. He said some trains have been diverted to reach Sitamarhi.
Separately, Maoists blew up two mobile phone towers in Gaya district around Wednesday midnight just a few hours prior to the arrival of BJP prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi.
While one mobile phone tower was blown up at Dumaria block headquarters, the other mobile phone tower was blown up at Manjhaulia village. The Maoists left behind live bombs at the destruction site and handwritten notes exhorting people to boycott elections as the election process was a sham.
Maoists also left a heavy can bomb on the road near the business area at Dumaria block headquarters, forcing residents to remain indoors. CRPF DIG Chiranjeev Kumar said bomb disposal squads were dispatched to defuse the can bomb and explosives left behind by Maoists near the destroyed mobile phone towers.