BHUBANESWAR: National Aluminium Company Limited (NALCO) – a navratna CPSE under Ministry of Mines, Govt of India, is planning to go ahead with vinyl wrapping in rail coaches as part of company’s brand building exercise.
In this context, NALCO floated an online tender (RFP Document No.TNCC-014 /2019 Dated: 14.06.2019) seeking participation from vendors to carry out, vinyl wrapping in three rakes of Rajdhani Express. The work job involves exterior vinyl wrapping inclusive of supply, printing and pasting new vinyl graphics in 03 rakes of New Delhi-Bhubaneswar Rajdhani Express.
The selected vendor will carry out the printing as per the approved designs and subsequently paste the new vinyl graphics in the exteriors of rail coaches. The area of application on coaches shall be the exterior side panels (excluding windows). Details are available in the RDSO drawing CG-10076. The graphic film to be used for exterior coaches shall not cause any damage to the painted surface of the coaches. The approved designs will be provided by NALCO once vendor is finalised. For the details specifications of fleet graphic films for the exterior of the coaches, the contractor is required to adhere to RDSO’s specifications as per RDSO/2010/CG-08. The broad technical requirement of the vinyl Film as per RDSO/2010/CG-08 is as follows:
- Base Film will be cast PVC film having thickness not more than 50 microns. Plasticizers and other additives materials must not emerge or exude. The film shall not include any materials having harmful effect on painted surfaces, human beings and environment. The film should be of either M/s 3M or Avery Dennision make. Manufacturers Supplier Invoice to be submitted.
- The film shall be white in colour with whiteness index of 100 to 90 as per test method ASTM E 313.
- Thickness: The nominal thickness of the unprinted film including adhesive shall be between 0.070mm to 0.090mm. The test procedure for measuring thickness is ASTM D 3652.
- Film shall be printed with digital printing technology with eco-friendly low emission solvent links. UV resistant and latex printed.
- The graphic has to be printed with printing resolution of the minimum of 720 dpi by 1440 dpi (Dots/inch).
- Edge sealing is required on the edges of the vinyl to give protection against peeling off of the graphic film and preventing damages of the graphic film against vandalism.
- The edge sealing material shall be clear acrylic/alkyd/PU resin applied on all the overlap joints of the film and end edges of the film with at least 10 mm footprint covering 5 mm on both the exposed edges. A slight change is expected in the gloss value at the joints where edge sealer is applied depending on the viewing angle. The edge sealer should become water resistant within four hours of application.
- Over Laminate: The surface of the graphic films shall be over laminated in an appropriate way in order to guarantee the resistance against operating stress and weather, acids, alkalis, salt solutions, scratch and tear from foreign objects. The graphics film should have an over laminate supplied by the same manufacturer of the graphics film. The over laminate should be a PVC film with attractive gloss finish and should be UV stabilized, which is to be tested to ASTM G 152 for protection against deterioration and fading.
Characteristics of finished Graphics prior to application
- Thickness: The film thickness shall be not more than 0.150mm +/- 15%, with sealing and print colour. The test procedure for measuring thickness is ASTM D 36S2.
- Gloss Value: The minimum gloss value shall be 70 achieved at 60 degree measured by gloss meter as per ASTM D 523, Gloss value retention after two years should not be less than 30 at 60 degree measured by gloss meter as per ASTM D523.
- Durability & Weathering Resistance: The Graphic Films shall be durable & resistant to weathering for at least three years in permanent outdoor- exposure. No kind of detachment, cracks, bubbles or similar effects shall occur during the applied state. The supplier shall submit proof of test from reputed independent laboratory (Govt. Accredited of accelerated weathering, UV and environmental exposure as per ASTM G 152 using xenon arc/QUV panel machines at 0.63 nanometres UV A lamps with 4 hour condensation and 4 hour UV exposure for min of 250 hrs. Post cycle specular glass value, delta E color change; visual discoloration has to be reported. The colour change should not be more than delta E=3, measured by approved photo spectro density meter (The instrument measures colour value).
- Flammability: The graphic film should fall under min. class B when tested as per UIC-564-2OR Appendix 12.
- Temperature Resistance: The film shall be resistant to temperature between -10 degree C and +100 degree C without any visible changes such as detachment cracks, bubble formation and colour changes. This property is to be tested as per clause of RDSO specification.
- Dimensional Stability: The shrinkage of the graphic film after application shall not exceed 0.2%. This is to be tested as per clause of RDSO specification.
- Resistance to Detergents: The graphic films shaft should be resistant to detergents used by the Indian Railways for exterior cleaning of the coaches. The surface of the sealed film shaft not softens and the colour and the adhesive power shaft not change. The same applies to surface softening and to all kind of detachments (waves, bubbles etc.) this should be tested as per clause of RDSO specification.
- Wash and attrition Resistance: The graphic films shall not suffer any visible color and gloss changes, detachments, cracks, bubbles etc. During external coach washing in accordance with IR field practices. Furthermore the films shall not expand. The graphic films along with over laminate shaft not show any visible colour and gloss changes when tested as per ASTM D 1044 using cleaning solution as per clause of RDSO specification.
- Removal of films: The time taken for removal of previous graphic & application of new graphic film should not be more than eight hours per coach. The removal of the applied film should not be tedious. The removal should be done using a hot air blower but the temperature should not exceed 70 degree C. In case any film or adhesive residue is observed after removal the residue should be possible to remove by use of ISO propyl alcohol and lint free cloth without any surface damage. Printing shall be as per approved design containing relevant information of the coaches.
APPLICATIONS OF GRAPHICS:
- Applications of Graphics have to be done using recommended application tools as mentioned by the manufacturer of the graphic film. The applicator has to show experience/training certificate of doing similar application on any moving vehicle by the manufacturer of the graphic film.
- Application of the graphic film has to be done on the surface without using any soap solution and water. (Dry application for faster application and also to protect the paint of the coach). The surface should be rubbed down by means of grade 220 emery paper and cleaned with a soft cloth before application of fleet graphic film.
- The application tool should be a nylon moulded squeeze with low friction sleeve, which will prevent scratches on the graphics, and a nylon rivet brush with wooden handle to apply graphics on the rivets.
- Application of The contractor will have all the responsibility of their Labour’s stay like shelter, food, etc.
- The contractor will have to arrange sufficient nos. of skilled labour, no shortage will be tolerated.
- The contractor will carry out Vinyl pasting and wrapping work with complete edge sealing, tamper proofing and with speed resistant coating.
- In case during the contract period, the vinyl is torn/damaged beyond reasonable control, then the contractor should attended immediately at coaching depot so that the coaches do not give shabby looks at any time. For this purpose, additional payment (if agreed by NALCO) shall be made based on per/sqf rate to the contractor as per the contract.
- In case of displays needs repairing and replacing due to wear and tear during the warranty period, the contractor should take up the work at his own cost. The contractor shall realign, re-adjust or shift the displays whenever called upon by the competent authority of NALCO to do so at his own cost without claiming any compensation.
- The gloss & sheen of the original PU paint of the coaches shall be intact even after the removal of the vinyl wraps by the contractor.
On completion of the contract period, it will be the duty of the contractor to remove the complete existing vinyl wrapping and will dispose the removed vinyl wrapping at a proper place outside the Railway area as per applicable laws.
In case of removal of vinyl film /residual adhesive film is required within the warranty period because of manufacturing / application / printing defects; the contractor will arrange to get the film replaced immediately at no extra cost to NALCO.
The removal should in no way damage the painted surface of the coach. On completion of the contract the coaches should be returned in the same conditions as it was handed over initially.
COMPOSITION OF THE BHUBANESWAR DELHI RAJDHANI EXPRESS
Bhubaneswar – Delhi Rajdhani express comprises of three racks (03 trains). Each rack of Bhubaneswar – Delhi Rajdhani express normally comprises of the following 17 coaches:-
- 01 no. 1st AC (with exterior both side panel area: approximately 808 sq ft.
- 02 nos 2ndAC (with exterior both side panel area per coach: approximately 799 sq ft.
- 11 nos 3rd AC (with exterior both side panel area per coach: approximately 799 sq ft.
- 01 no Pantry car (with exterior both side panel area per coach: approximately 851 sq ft.
- 02 nos Guard cum Generator Van (exterior both side panel area/coach: approximately 698 sqft.
The approximate exterior both side panel per rack (train) would be 13442 sq ft and the total exterior area coverage for 03 racks (trains) of Bhubaneswar – Delhi Rajdhani express would be 40326 sqft. Besides, as suggested by Railways, there are another 09 additional spare coaches that are kept as standby to use as and when maintenance issue arises. In addition to wrapping in 51 coaches of 03 rakes, provision may have to be kept for vinyl wrapping of 9 more coaches if required (about 7,191 Square feet).
GENERAL PRINCIPLE FOR WORK
- All the coaches of the train will be handed over to the contractor for carrying out vinyl wrapping work. The contractor shall be responsible for the safety and security of the equipment’s during the execution of the work.
- NALCO may at its discretion reduce/increase the quantities at the time of award of the work.
- The Contractor will ensure that highest quality of work is carried out of all the coaches and will also be responsible that no substandard work is permitted. He will have to personally inspect all the materials received from suppliers and also supervise the work on the said coaches.
- To supervise the execution of the work done to ensure that executing the work is carry out the same in a sound and satisfactory manner duly conforming to the designs, specifications, workmanship and according to the agreed time schedule, periodical visits to the site as per requirements to monitor progress of work. Contractor shall send periodical reports about the progress of work, quality and related matters.
- It shall be the responsibility of the Contractor to carry out the work in accordance with approved design and specifications and ensure that the materials used and workmanship are of top quality.
- For constant supervision of the work, the Contractor shall appoint experienced technical supervisor and required supporting staff at site right at the start of the work.
- The Contractor will not, without the written sanction of NALCO, make any major deviation in the plans or estimates. For any deviated items approved by NALCO, the rates analysis will be furnished by the Contractor for scrutiny and approval.
- The total vinyl wrapped surface Area will be under one years warranty for fading, discoloration, formation of bubbles, surface imperfection and peeling out, opening of joints, opening of edges, after completion of work.
- Payment will be made on the basis of actual surface area of work executed. However, the total surface area calculated for the purpose of purchase order i.e for 03 rakes of Bhubaneswar – Delhi Rajdhani Express is approximately 40326 sq. Ft.
- Besides, if required the contractor may be asked to execute the vinyl wrapping of 09 additional spare coaches ((about 7,191 square feet) that are kept as standby to use as and when maintenance issue arises.
- The tenderer should be ready with Minimum of 10% spare quantity of total vinyl wrapped surface area and the same to be maintained for the period throughout the year of warranty period which may be used for replacement whenever required due to defects arising during warranty.
- The coaches would be given in consultation with East Coast Railways based on the availability of the racks and preferably given in lots of 5 or 6 at a time.
- The printed vinyl would contain individual coach names, IRCTC coach nos., NALCO Logo, and content/design approved by NALCO.
INSPECTION OF THE WORK:
- Before uploading the bids, the Bidders should conduct a detailed study of the work i.e existing condition of the coaches of the proposed train/surface condition/level of coaches, location of work etc. The job would be carried out on the air-conditioned coaches at Bhubaneswar Station areas.
- The bidder will have to explore the sources for its material supplies, work force, tool and plant and other requirements like electrical supply, water supply, ladders, raised platform etc. as NALCO will not provide any of these facilities.
- The bidder should check the working conditions at site and for permission for temporary shed at site to house labour and materials. The power supply/ DG set arrangement will have to be managed by the bidders at his own cost.