New Delhi: Integral Coach Factory (ICF), a Production Unit of Ministry of Railways, shall be manufacturing 72 stainless steel EMU rakes of 12 cars equipped with Insulated Gate Bipolar transistor (IGBT) based 3-phase propulsion system supplied by M/s Bombardier Transportation under Mumbai Urban Transport Project Phase – II. ICF has so far manufactured two prototype rakes for Mumbai area. Presently, tests and trials on these two rakes are in progress and is likely to be completed by March 2014. After successful completion of these tests & trials, balance 70 rakes will be manufactured in the next two years, i.e. 2014-15& 2015-16.
The following changes for passenger amenities are made in these new rakes:
- Passenger Information System with double sided displays for better visibility to the commuters.
- Cushioned seats with stainless steel frame in First Class and polycarbonate seats with stainless steel frames in Second Class.
- Central duct with light fittings on both sides for improved aesthetics.
- Improved ventilation system.
- Stainless steel luggage racks with hand hold arrangement for passengers standing between seats.
This information was given by the Minister of State for Railways Shri Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury in written reply to a question in Rajya Sabha today.