One killed in train derailment – Titwala-Kasara section Shuts down

Five coaches derailed after the train left Titwala station. CR officials feel the coaches may have detached from the train before going off the tracks. One of the nine injured taken to Fortis Hospital for treatment

One killed as train derails in Titwala, shuts down sectionTitvala (TLA):  Thousands of commuters were stranded between Titwala and Kasara; long-distance trains were re-routed as the five derailed bogeys blocked Up and Down lines.

A commuter was killed and at least 14 were injured, six seriously, when five bogeys of a CST-bound local train were derailed between Titwala and Ambivali stations near Balyani village, on Thursday, according to Central Railway officials. The derailed bogeys effectively shut down the Kasara line, forcing CR to cancel all rail traffic between Titwala and Kasara. At least 11 long-distance trains were rerouted and two were rescheduled.

The CR officials said the coaches might have uncoupled from the train before going off the tracks. The mishap that occurred at 2.50 pm, barely five minutes after the train pulled out of Titwala station, has raised questions on commuter safety for CR. Meanwhile, Government Railway Police has quoted the number of injured to be at least 23.

The deceased has been identified as Dhaval Mayur Lodaya (20), a resident of Pant Nagar in Ghatkopar (E). The seriously injured included train guard R N Dube, who suffered a dislocated shoulder. Passengers Kiran K Bhoir, Pradeep Janade and Shrutika Dagade were also seriously injured and are undergoing treatment at Fortis Hospital. Four commuters sustained minor injuries.

Balyani villagers rushed to the rescue after hearing the cries of commuters, helping those inside the derailed bogeys to get out. CR officials said the reason behind the mishap was yet to be ascertained. “The impact was such that it even broke several concrete sleepers, and caused one of the coaches to tilt steeply. Something seriously went wrong and a lot of questioning and answering will follow,” said a senior CR official.

CR spokesperson A K Jain said, “Of the 14 injured, five were taken to Railway Hospital, Kalyan where one of them was discharged after first-aid. Four were taken to Fortis Hospital.” He added that ex-gratia of Rs 50,000 was announced for the next of kin of the deceased, Rs 15,000 for those grievously injured and Rs 5,000 for the rest.

Jain said suburban services were on between CST-Kalyan and Titwala-Kasara stations, as well as shuttles from CST to Ambivali and Titwala to Kasara. “The state government was requested to ply extra State Transport buses to help commuters travel between Kalyan and Titwala,” he added.

Railways officials said getting the line back to operational status would take time, given the extent of damage. “Already, around 11 long-distance trains have been diverted and two had to be rescheduled. Hopefully, the Down line (towards Kasara) will be cleared and operational by 10 pm on Thursday. The work on the Up line (towards CST) might go on till Friday,” an official said.

An RPF officer said one of their constables, Rahul Girase, was on the train and informed authorities before joining the rescue effort. Sources in the CR said an inquiry will be carried out into the mishap by the Commissioner of Railway Security (CRS) as a passenger had been killed.


1. Dhawal Mayur Loday (M-20)

1. R.N. Dubey, Guard (M-51), Fortis Hospital
2. Kiran K. Bhoir (M-45), Fortis Hospital
3. Pradeep Janade, Fortis Hospital
4. Ms. Shrutika Dagade (F-20), Fortis Hospital

5. Imam Abdul Khan (M-44), Fortis Hospital
6. Md. Nazir, Fortis Hospital
7. Pandurang G Lahane (M-59), Railway Hospital, Kalyan
8. Smt. Nisha P. Chavan (F-45), Railway Hospital, Kalyan
9. Smt. Sindubai J Shinde (F-45) Railway Hospital, Kalyan


Dhaval Mayur Lodaya (20), a student of Somaiya College, had just appeared for the HSC exams. His relatives in Ghatkopar said Dhaval was returning from a visit to a Jain temple in Asangaon with three friends.

Due to the massive jerk caused by the derailment, Dhaval was thrown out of the train. He lay injured for more than half an hour before succumbing to his injuries. Eyewitnesses said his life could have been saved if medical aid had arrived on time.

His family friend Rohit Parekh told that the train first swayed left and then right. Though a crowd of over 150 had gathered, no one helped as all were busy taking photos and videos on their phones. “A local corporator also refused to help saying he did not have a vehicle,” Parekh said.