HYDERABAD: The Railway Ministry has accorded priority for rail infra developmental works in and around Hyderabad city, laying focus on the increasing needs of the rail users as also to contribute towards enhancing the civic infrastructure of the burgeoning city.
Shri Piyush Goyal, Hon’ble Minister of Railways has taken initiative to ensure that the genuine demands of rail travellers and representations coming from various quarters including public representatives, are analysed and where ever feasible and required, the suggestions are met.
During the course of his recent visit to the city to launch various rail developmental programs at Secunderabad Railway Station too, the Hon’ble Minister was forthcoming on the plea of public representatives and issued instructions to SCR officials for positively responding to the same.
The Secunderabad and Hyderabad Divisions of South Central Railway whose jurisdiction covers Hyderabad city are undertaking rail developmental works for strengthening rail infra structure and civic needs in the twin cities.
Shri Vinod Kumar Yadav, General Manager, SCR has been monitoring the progress of all the works on a continuous basis and has drawn a firm plan of action for the two divisions to complete works as per targeted schedules.
The details of rail infra works and civic infrastructure which are in progress and also being taken up are as follows:-
- Secunderabad Railway Station: One of the major junction station on South Central Railway with an average footfall of 1.8 lakh per day. Major thrust has been given for enhancing the amenities at the Station towards this it is proposed to construct 4th Foot Over Bridge at an estimated cost of Rs.9 cr. recently two lifts have been commissioned at Platform No. 1 & 10 at a cost of Rs. 1.1 cr. In addition, station premises hygienic and clean apron works has been completed on platform No.7 at a cost of Rs.2 cr. Recently the station has been awarded with IGBC Platinum certification which is first of its kind on Indian Railways for maintaining green environment in and around the station. To improve the aesthetics of the station building have been beautified with Cheriyal paintings depicting the art and culture of Telangana state. Secunderabad Railway station bagged 3rd position from Ministry of Railways for the same.
- Hyderabad Railway Station: It is one of the major terminal station on South Central Railway. In the recent past several passenger amenity works completed at the station which includes surfacing of platform no. 5 & 6, improvements to General waiting hall; renovation of AC and Sleeper class waiting halls; improvements to circulating area; repairs to Cover Over Platform pedestals and seating arrangements at a cost of 1.5 cr. Replacement of sheets for Cover Over Platform and provision of escalators are also completed at a cost of Rs.2 cr.
- Kacheguda Railway Station: The station is seeing a host of developmental works aimed at providing more passenger facilities / amenities, specially to address the needs of Senior citizens as well as Divyang (Differently Abled) passengers. Recently, 01 Lift has been provided on Platform 4/5 here. Further in the pipeline, provision of 03 new lifts at a cost of Rs.2.0 cr, has been sanctioned – 01 at Platform No.1; 01 at Platform No.2/3 and 01 for access from the newly developed second entry of the railway station. Bio-toilets have also been provided here on Platform No’s 2/3 and 4/5.
- Lingampalli Railway Station: Lingampalli, the upcoming rail terminal which is also the hub for MMTS commuter services in Hyderabad city has seen a lot of developmental works taken up in the past 2-3 years, to the tune of around Rs.16 Crore. These include, construction of a new station building on Platform No.1 side, development of circulating area, widening of Platform No.1, construction of new Foot Over Bridge, additional platform shelters etc. Keeping in view the public demand to start the trains (bound for Vijayawada) from Lingampalli, other end maintenance facilities (which include laying of 2 numbers of apron lines , coach watering facilities, coach cleaning facilities) have been created recently. The development of all these facilities has enabled extension of 2 trains – Gautami Express & Coconada Express from Secunderabad to Lingampalli and also introduction of a new train service, Lingampalli – Indore Express, thereby off setting saturation at Secunderabad.
- Amongst the other developmental plans in the anvil at Lingampalli are, extension of Platform No. 4 & 5, raising the height of Platform No. 2 & 3, Provision of 02 Escalators, 01 on Platform No.1 and 01 on Platform No.6 at an approximate cost of 1.82 cr.
- The priority developmental works in the anvil are the Raising of rail level portion (80 mts length) on Platform No.3 to equal the height of the present high level platform (483 mts length) thereby uniformly increasing the length of the Platform. This work is likely to be completed in a months’ time.
- Lingampalli station has been provided with adequate lighting in the entire building, Platforms and in the circulating area. Although alternative power supply arrangement is available in case of power supply failure from State Electricity Board, a permanent Diesel Generator is planned to be commissioned at the station.
- Cherlapalli Railway Station: Cherlapalli station is being developed as yet another terminal station in the twin cities, being planned the existing railway land at a estimated cost of Rs. 226 Crore. The detailed estimate has been sent to the Railway Board for sanction. Tender for the work is also under process and will be taken up once the detailed estimate meets sanction of the Railway Board.
- At present, as a part of the MMTS Phase-II project being under taken by Rail Vikas Nigam Limited (RVNL) platform works are in progress at Cherlapalli. On completion of these works, all passenger amenities will be provided on station and Platforms.
- Falaknuma Railway Station: With a view to enhance security of rail passengers, the Railway Protection Force (RPF) outpost at Falaknuma has been upgraded to include a new office with separate barracks for women security personnel.
- Secunderabad – Bolarum section: The Secunderabad – Bolarum section is being upgraded shortly to MMTS standards for taking up improvements to the Platforms, toilets, booking offices and allied works at a cost of around Rs. 12 cr. The works include rising of Platform height, booking offices and toilets at the 10 stations in the route. Tenders are being floated for providing a new Foot Over Bridge at Lallaguda Halt station and also for a new Foot Over Bridge connecting Platform 2/3 at Bolarum with the second entry of the station. The works are aimed at planning to run MMTS services between Secunderabad – Bolarum.
- Increase of MMTS capacity: It is planned to increase MMTS services by increasing the number of cars (coaches) of the services from the present 09 cars to 12 cars shortly. With a view to handle significant increase in carrying capacity of MMTS services, the Electrical Multiple Unit (EMU) car shed for MMTS services at Moula-Ali is being expanded at a cost of Rs. 6 cr.
- Malkajgiri Railway Station: Malkajgiri is one of the important stations in twin cities, catering to both short and long distance passengers. Recently, Coach Indication Boards (CIBs) have also been provided at all the 3 platforms of the station, at a cost of Rs. 90 Lakh, to enable passenger convenience.
- Drainage issue at Malkajgiri: The residential colonies in the vicinity of Malkajgiri Railway Station have been facing a severe drainage problem due to increase in population density and discharge of waste water. Acting to resolve this civic issue, SCR has taken up bridge expansion works for two bridges at a cost of Rs. 4 cr to ease drainage flow and stagnation of water. This is expected to significantly enhance the convenience of local residents and address a long pending representation.
- Road Under Bridge between Budwel – Umdanagar: Construction of Road Under Bridge between Budwel – Umdanagar (Level Crossing No.11) near Satamrai has been sanctioned. The work, being taken up at a cost Rs.2.5 cr, is planned for completion during the current year. The Road Over Bridge will not only eliminate a busy level crossing but is also expected to address the concerned of local residents to enable smooth movement of road traffic through this grade separation.
- Road Under Bridge at Anandbagh, Malkajgiri : For convenience of the road using public, the existing level crossing gate at Anandbagh is being converted into Road Under Bridge at an approximate cost of Rs. 23.62 cr, with the State Government bearing its share of Rs. 12.91 cr and the Railways bearing Rs. 10.71 cr as its share. Issues concerning land acquisition and shifting of utilities have been sorted out and the work is being planned for completion in the current year.
- Road Under Bridge at Tukaram Gate, Lallaguda: The work for Road Under Bridge in lieu of Tukaram Gate level crossing adjacent to Lallaguda Railway station on Secunderabad – Bollarum section has been sanctioned by Railway Board at a cost of Rs. 14.17 cr, with the State Government bearing Rs. 8.38 cr and the Railways bearing Rs. 5.79 cr. The existing level crossing has been closed recently and work for the Road under Bridge commenced. It is expected to be completed in a year’s time.
- Hi-Tech City Road under Bridge: The detailed drawing for Road under Bridge at Hi-Tech city has been approved and the State Government advised for depositing the total cost of Rs. 24.26 cr for the work. Tender for the work is also called and would be finalized once the fund is deposited by the State Government. The work will be taken up and completed within next one and half years
- Khaitlapur Road Over Bridge, Borabanda : The detailed drawing for the Road Over Bridge at Khaitlapur near Borabanda on the Begumpet – Lingampalli section is approved and the State Government has deposited Rs. 18.32 cr, the cost of the work. It is targeted to complete the work within one year.
- Widening of Road Over Bridge at Falaknuma : The drawing and estimate for taking up the work for widening of existing Road Over Bridge at Falaknuma has been finalized and the cost of Rs. 10.10 cr, advised to State Government for depositing. Tenders have been called and the work will be taken up shortly.
- Shastripuram Road Over Bridge: Joint inspection of the Railways and the State Government has been completed and the detailed drawing is under process. The work will be completed in the next one and half years.
- Malakpet Road under Bridge: The detailed drawing for the work has been approved and the cost of Rs. 10.46 cr has already been advised to State Government. The work will be taken up after depositing this amount and is likely to be completed within a period of one year after the same.
- Uttamnagar Road Under Bridge: The long pending demand of public in and around Malkajgiri was fulfilled with the commissioning of a 4 lane Road Under Bridge at Uttamnagar near Safilguda Railway Station recently, enabling smooth movement of vehicular traffic. This Raod Under Bridge was completed at a cost of Rs. 18 Cr.
- Road Under Bridge near Hi-tech City MMTS Railway Station: A Road Under Bridge has been commissioned near Hi-tech City MMTS Railway Station towards Hafizpet side. This Road Under Bridge is critical to the ever increasing vehicular movement in and around the IT Corridor.