RailTel is sponsoring an event “The International Conference on Train Control Command Signalling and Radio-Communication”, organised by the UIC from 21st to 23rd March 2013 at Manekshaw Centre, Delhi. The International Conference on Train Control Command Signalling and Radio-Communication is organised by the UIC (International Union of Railways), the Indian Railways and RailTel Corporation of India Ltd. The conference aims at enabling open, relevant and comprehensive information exchange on the state of the art, technologies, needs and requirements, as well as the vision on the future systems. The conference will bring together signalling and telecommunication specialists around the world. Participating representative of major industries and developing centres may have also the opportunity to have an interactive dialog, to endorse the requirements, vision and position of the railways and to express their efficient responses and future developments.
The International Conference on Train Control Command Signalling and Radio-Communication is organised by the UIC (International Union of Railways), the Indian Railways and RailTel Corporation of India Ltd.
This conference will mark the 3rd edition of the Conference on Control Command Signalling, which is a periodic event – every two years – agreed at the UIC world level as an expression of cooperation in the signalling domain, for first time also joining with the Radio-Communication, as a consequence of the growing importance of the radio-communication and its vital need for Train Operations, within the chain of transmission of information for train control, diagnosis, maintenance, efficient management and traffic control, passenger information and leisure.
The conference aims at enabling open, relevant and comprehensive information exchange on the state of the art, technologies, needs and requirements, as well as the vision on the future systems. In 2013, the conference will bring together signalling and telecommunication specialists around the world. Participating representative of major industries and developing centres may have also the opportunity to have an interactive dialog, to endorse the requirements, vision and position of the railways and to express their efficient responses and future developments.
The two sections of the conference (CCS and Radio) will debate on subjects such as :
- Practical, real implementation of systems and lessons learned
- Interoperability, modularity and inter-changeability
- Consequences of rapid developments of technology – especially in the IT and radio-communication – IP introduction
- Increased role of common norms and standards in a globalised technology world
- Supply with guarantees for efficient life cycle operation
- Decisions on new railways regional projects
In more detail and in the scope of the conference the conclusions and outputs should provide the railway train control command signalling and radio domains with a clear vision on achievements and of development tendency with concrete approach to demonstrate :
- The capability of satisfaction the basic needs and requirements for evolution in the rail transportation system
- The opportunities of adaptation of modern systems to specific needs and requirements urged from the particular traffic and train operations, regional developments, national inheritance and other such considerations
- The maintenance around the UIC of an efficient platform to largely federate the knowledge, the best practice, the converging requirements and assess the supply base for the systems’ in their evolution of techniques and technologies
- The provision of support to the win-win process in the users – manufacturers relation, where understanding of requirements and competition shall be responding to the market and the use of leading technologies to assure migration based on large technology developments.
Subjects and Presentations
In the service of the scope and corresponding to the aims, the conference is meant to cover with representative impacting and high level communication and presentations :
- The major functional, operational and RAMS (reliability, availability and safety) requirements which are now demanded to the modern control-command and signalling and mobile telecommunication developments
- Interoperability and inter-changeability of equipments based on modularity and interfacing – definitions, applicability, constraints, challenges (Europe, USA, Russia, China, Japan, CIS countries, Mongolia, India, Korea, … )
- The convergence of classical CCS with the Communication Based Train Control (CBTC), cooperation of track-side and onboard, share of functionality and safety between the system constituents,
- Increased role of IP technologies and applications, impact of introduction of 4G Broadband technologies
- Role and application of leading technologies (IT, satellite navigation and telecommunication, broadband, expert systems, intelligent diagnostic and maintenance) ; challenges
- Identification of benefit areas from establishing a common vision on future systems, and the opportunities to maximise the benefits by increased synergy and integration of CCS and Telecommunication Systems with leading technologies, to support advanced traffic control, traffic management, diagnosis, maintenance, information for freight and passengers, by enhanced information availability
- Examples of systems in commercial operation, success stories but also challenges and lessons learned from practice – mistakes to avoid
- Supply and migration – point of view of the industry (exhibition) and interventions of industry suppliers
The conference will invite industry representative to relate on the actual supply capable of covering with leading technologies a wide area of applications based on advanced conceptions such as ERTMS/ETCS, PTC, ATACS, CTCS, GSM-R, and others. It will be important to sense the converging tendencies to use emerging technologies, the application of vital computers on board of trains, the derived systems for heavy-haul or low traffic operations, the way towards the “information and communication signalling”, use of advanced mobile IP telecommunication technologies, challenges on interoperability and co-existence based on intelligent routers and advanced use of commercial telecom services, 4G introduction impact on voice and data railway operational applications. The conference will enable the underpinning of the technology tendencies and the industry vision on the evolution of the CSS & TC.
9. State of the art and evolution of the CCS &TC in actual commercial application. Evolution of railway radio-communications and needs for regional interoperability.
In this area of subjects the railways will have the opportunity to characterize the currently applications from the point of view of their state of the art and fulfilment of requirements by the technology and to express the needed operational and functional requirements capable of satisfying the increased demand on mobility, quality of transport, integration and information. The industry representative could reply to show which leading developments may contribute to respond to the demands when also increase efficiency and decrease the life cycle cost.
Conclusion: Vision on CCS & TC
This conference session will synthesize the major tendencies and vision on the TM&CCS and Radio in the significant regions of the world : Europe, Asia, Middle-East, Africa, North America, South- America, Australia. The speakers will be invited to show the particular challenges and requirements at regional level which might justify differences, but to argue on the convergence on core needs based on using the same basic requirements in the rail system signalling.
The conference will end with conclusion drawn from the conference sessions and discussions, with conference message addressed to the specialists and industry to strengthen the cooperation and lead a common way based on converging needs and requirements. It should propose new projects to be developed by the participants and supported by UIC for the next years to come. Organisers look forward to seeing you soon in Delhi in March 21st to 23rd, 2013.
The UIC Global Signalling & Telecom Conference will take place at the Manekshaw Center in Delhi.