According to Indian Railways, boarding and terminating station might also change to nearby cluster stations under IRCTC’s Vikalp scheme.
NEW DELHI: IRCTC (Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation) offers Vikalp scheme for waitlisted passengers as an option to provide confirmed berth in an alternate train. However, opting for Vikalp does not mean that assured berth will be provided to passengers in alternate train. It is subject to train and berth availability, mentioned IRCTC on its official website. Once confirmed in alternate train, cancellation charges will be as per berth/train status in alternate train.
According to Indian Railways, boarding and terminating station might also change to nearby cluster stations under this scheme. Passenger can also be transferred to any alternate train opted and departing between 30 minutes to 12 hours from the scheduled departure of original train, in which the ticket was booked.
Key things to know about IRCTC’s Vikalp scheme:
- Indian Railways Vikalp scheme is implemented for passengers of all train types and classes.
- The scheme is applicable to all waiting list passengers irrespective of booking quota and concession.
- Under this scheme, passengers can opt maximum 5 trains.
- Vikalp opted passengers who booked in waiting and remain fully wait listed after charting will only be considered for allotment in the alternate train.
- Fully waiting passengers opted for Vikalp should check PNR (Passenger Name Record) status after charting.
- No extra charges shall be taken from passenger or any refund shall be provided for difference of fare.
- Wait listed passengers of original train shall not be allowed to board the original train if allotted alternate accommodation.
- Passengers once provided alternate accommodation in alternate train will be treated as normal passengers in alternate train and will be eligible for up gradation.
- In rare situations, passengers who have been provided alternate accommodation might get dropped/re-allotted in alternate train due to last minute change in composition of the alternate train at the time of chart preparation. So, passengers who have been provided alternate accommodation should check PNR status also after preparation of charts of the alternate train for final status.
- When Vikalp opted passenger opts to cancel, after he has been given an alternate accommodation, he will be treated as a confirmed passenger and the cancellation rules will apply accordingly.
- No refund for difference of fare between the original train and the alternate train, including Tatkal charges, will be given to re-allocated passengers.
- Once an Vikalp opted passenger has been allotted alternate accommodation, journey modification will not be permitted. If required, the passenger will have to cancel the ticket and book a fresh ticket for modified journey.
- When a passenger who has been allotted alternate accommodation has not performed his journey in the alternate train, he can claim for refunds by filing a TDR request.
- Train list once selected under Vikalp scheme cannot be changed.