Gupta takes over charge of the post of Member-Rolling Stock w.e.f. 1st Dec 2016. The post is viewed as one of the most challenging role by the Rail Industry, particularly during its transformative shift from over-aged system tag to the most Modern & Futuristic Rail System, under the aegis of the NDA Government headed by Mr.Narendra Modi.
New Delhi: Ravindra Gupta, General Manager, South Central Railway has been elevated as Member, Rolling Stock, Railway Board, New Delhi. Subsequent to the issuing of orders, he has relinquished charge to take over the new assignment at New Delhi today i.e., 1st December, 2016. He has rendered distinguished service on SCR during his tenure of over one year and has been instrumental in charting a new course for the Zone in the face of various challenges.
Under the stewardship of Ravindra Gupta, South Central Railway has registered several growth oriented major achievements during the last one year, reflecting his quality as a leader.
- The Zone handled the event of mega Krishna Pushkarams, which saw a pilgrim traffic of 46 lakhs, served by around 700 special trains in the month of August, 2016 with success. Over 2500 extra personnel were deputed for the purpose of smooth management of the 12 day pushkaram event, spread over the states of Andhra Pradesh, Telangana and Karnataka. During this pushkaram to ease the pilgrim passengers hand held terminals and mobile ticketing vans were used for issuing the unreserved tickets.
- The Route Relay Interlocking (RRI) works at Vijayawada, sanctioned a decade back was executed successfully under the directions of Ravindra Gupta. The RRI work which needed extensive planning to ensure minimal disturbance to train services was completed within record time of 3 days. This work, one of the biggest such tasks on Indian Railways ensured that the movement of trains from all the four directions of the country is not hampered, since Vijayawada is the virtual hub to rail operations, connecting all directions with the South.
- The Zone saw its network take a severe beating when heavy rains caused breaches on Gudur-Renigunta section and Guntur-Pagidipalli section in the months of November, 2015 and September, 2016 respectively. Ravindra Gupta personally led the relief and restoration measures and monitored the entire work of restoring normalcy to train services in the sections, well within the target time set. This enabled the Zone to overcome major disruption to train services, with least of inconvenience to rail users.
- Responding to popular public demands, Ravindra Gupta ensured speeding up of 92 trains by reducing the running time and permanent augmentation of 29 trains with 39 extra coaches, towards enhancing capacity.
- Punctuality, one of the prime factors towards passenger satisfaction was intensively monitored at every level, with the personal involvement of Ravindra Gupta. This enabled SCR attain 97 % punctuality (as against Railway Board target of 96%) in running of Mail/Express trains, setting a new high.
- Ravindra Gupta made a thorough analysis of the traffic trends and requirements and ordered the conversion of Jogulamba Halt station to a full-fledged flag station, leading to increase in passenger amenities at the station, which serves a continuous flow of pilgrim traffic.
- Ravindra Gupta accorded priority towards de-congesting in the twin cities of Hyderabad and Secunderabad, towards which he drew up a plan to develop Charlapalli as a Coaching Terminal to handle passenger carrying trains. The plan, approved by Railway Board is under implementation and will meet a much awaited need for the city.
- The leadership and mentoring skills of Ravindra Gupta got the most valued recognition ever for SCR, when the Zone was bestowed with the ‘Best Team Award’ at the prestigious ‘Rail Vikas Shivir’. This achievement, for an idea – On “Creating 3X (Three Times) Bigger Indian Railway that is Economically Viable” will surely be a memorable chapter in the history books of SCR since it was earned amidst thousands of ideas from all over Indian Railways. The award was received by Ravindra Gupta at the hands of Honorable Prime Minister of India Shri Narendra Modi at New Delhi.
- Ravindra Gupta envisaged a concrete plan of action towards energy conservation for a better environment. Under his guidance, SCR has initiated action for harnessing Solar Energy on a large scale. As on date 1.933 MW solar panels are in use while use of another 4 MW is on anvil.
- On the aspect of water conservation, Ravindra Gupta is responsible for successfully implementing a plan to revive old water bodies towards rejuvenation of dried up wells. As a part of the same, two wells – one a 150 year old “Salarjung Open Well” dating back to the Nizam’s era and another, a “Step Well ”, both at Moula Ali have been revived, which will not just yield water but also together generate substantial saving of around Rs. 4 Crore per anum.
- Towards Digital India initiative, Ravindra Gupta implemented ambitious plans towards making the Rail stations Wi-Fi enabled. Till date Secunderabad, Kacheguda, Vijayawada and Tirupati stations were brought under this network. In addition, a user friendly paperless mobile ticketing app was introduced for issuing unreserved tickets on suburban (MMTS) section of Secunderabad.
- For the convienence of Senior citizens and elderly passengers, 2 lifts at Nizamabad and 6 escalators one each at Vijayawada, Anakapalli, Ongole, and Gudur stations and two at Aurangabad station.
- With regular monitoring and inspection by Ravindra Gupta on the works progress for construction of Fiat Bogie Manufacturing Unit at Yadgir has yielded good results and now it is nearing completion and targeted for commissioning by the end of this financial year.
- On request of Hyderabad Metro Rail Ltd (HMRL) and Government of Telangana, Ravindra Gupta has taken initiative in granting traffic blocks at 08 Railway crossings on a phased manner for smooth execution of Metro Rail works in Twin cities of Hyderabad and Secunderabad without hampering the regular train services.
- Ravindra Gupta has conducted regular review meetings with RVNL and Telangana Govt. and also Railway Board for expediting the MMTS phase-II works as per schedule.
Ravindra Gupta has accorded highest priority for infrastructure development on SCR. Due to his meticulous planning and monitoring, the following new lines, doubling/tripling, electrification works were completed. These include:
- Commissioning of 125 Kms new line between Yerraguntla-Nandyal stations and passenger train services were introduced in that section.
- Completion of 55 Kms length of new line between Jagityal-Morthad stations of Karimnagar-Nizamabad section.
- Completion of 20 Kms length of new line between Mellacheruvu-Mathampalli stations of Jaggayapet-Vishnupuram section.
- Completion of 30.55 Kms of new line between Marikal-Makthal stations and Devarkadra-Pulimamidi stations of Munirabad-Mahbubnagar section.
- Completion of 24.3 Kms 3rd line between Mandamarri-Manchiryal stations and Ramagundam-Peddampet stations of Raghavapuram-Mandamarri section.
- Completion of 12.4 Kms of doubling between Kosgi-Mantralayam Road stations of Guntakal-Raichur section.
- Completion of electrification between Mellachuruvu-Mattampalli stations for a distance of 21 TKM.
- Completion of electrification between Wadi-Chiksugur stations for a distance of 219 TKM.
In addition to the completion of the above, because of the personal intervention and follow-up by Ravindra Gupta, GM/SCR, the following infrastructure projects are progressing in fast pace and targeted for completion during the current financial year.
- New railway line between Morthad – Nizamabad for a distance of 45.60 kms. With this much awaited Peddapalli – Karimnagar- Nizamabad new line project will be completed.
- New railway line between Mathampalli – Janpahad for a distance of 19 kms. With this Jaggayyapet – Mellacheruvu – Janpahad new line project will be completed.
- Third railway line between Mancheryal – Peddampet for a distance of 9.02 kms. With this third line between Raghavapuram and Mandamarri will be completed.
- Third railway line between Vijayawada – Kondapalli for a distance of 17.49kms. This is the part of Kazipet – Vijayawada Third line project.
- Doubling between Mantralayam Road – Matmarri for a distance of 11.15 kms part of Guntakal – Wadi doubling project
- Doubling between Parbhani – Mirakhel for a distance of 17 kms part of Mudhked- Parbhani Section
- New Railway Line between Homnabad- Gulbarga for a distance of 72.4 kms, thereby enabling commissioning of Bidar –Gulbarga New Railway line Project this fiscal. The 1.8 kms Margutti Tunnel, an engineering marvel is the highlight of the Project.
- Doubling between Mantralayam Road – Matmarri for a distance of 11.15 kms part of Guntakal –Wadi doubling project
Brief Profile of Ravindra Gupta
Ravindra Gupta belongs to the 1975 batch of Special Class Apprentice (SCA). His academic qualifications include completion of Part I & II of Council of Engineering Institutions (London) in Mechanical Engineering, Associate Member of the Institution of Engineers (AMIE) in Mechanical Engineering and AMIE (Electrical Engineering) from the Institution of Engineers, India. During the course of his academic attainments, he was awarded a Gold Medal for securing first position in AMIE (Mechanical Engineering).
Ravindra Gupta began his working career on Indian Railways as Asst. Mechanical Engineer (Diesel) at Itarsi, Central Railway in November 1981. During the course of his 36 years long illustrious career, Ravindra Gupta held several important executive and managerial positions on Indian Railways. These include as – Additional Divisional Railway Manager / Allahabad Division / North Central Railway; Chief Workshop Manager, Jamalpur / Eastern Railway; Divisional Railway Manager, Chakradharpur Division/South Eastern Railway; Chief Workshop Engineer, Mumbai / Central Railway; Sr. Deputy General Manager, Mumbai / Central Railway and Chief Administrative Officer, Diesel Locomotive Factory/Marhaura, Patna/ East Central Railway. He also held several important assignments on RITES (Rail India Technical and Economic Service) and RDSO (Research Designs and Standards Organisation) during his distinguished career.
Ravindra Gupta underwent several training programmes in India and Abroad. Amongst these are – an intensive specialized ‘Disaster Management’ module in France and a specialized ‘Braking & Safety System Design for High Speed Train Operation’ programme in United Kingdom (UK) and United States of America (USA), both organized by the World Bank & RITES and on ‘Strategic Management’ at Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, USA.