KOLKATA: Indian Railways has published the Citizens’ Charter to be accountable, responsive, transparent and ethical to its passengers about their rights. The charter is a commitment of the Indian Railway Administration to :
- Provide safe and dependable train services
- Set notified standards for various services, wherever possible
- Ensure adequate passenger amenities in trains and at railway stations;
- Provide courteous and efficient counter services; and
- Set up a responsive and effective Grievance Redressal Machinery, at various levels and time-bound resolution of complaints and grievances as far as possible.
- Provision of computerised reservation facilities at all station with a workload of 100 reservation related transactions.
- Opening of adequate number of counters to ensure reduced waiting time.
- Opening of ticket booking counters with adequate working hours to facilitate issue of tickets to the public. The working hours will be clearly displayed at the counters.
- As far as possible, refunds would be made across the counter,provided the ticket is surrendered within the specified time limit. Such refunds can be obtained at the computerized counters of any station provided it is linked with the ticket issuing station and the ticket is presented within the prescribed limit.
- In case of failure of air-conditioning equipment, difference of fare between air-conditioned and non air-conditioned class of travel for the portion travelled without air-conditioning shall be refunded for which a Certificate may be obtained from Guard/TTE.
- Station Masters of certain important stations/reservation offices have been granted special discretionary powers to grant refund on used tickets issued from their stations where refund is not admissible at the station due to expiry of the time limits prescribed in the rules. The list of stations, where this facility is available, is published in the respective Zonal Railway Timetable.
- In case where refund is not permissible across the counter for refund of fare under circumstances other than those specified in these rules or under circumstances like ‘bandh’ or agitations or floods, etc., the passengers could not reach the reservation counter or station or current counters for cancellation of tickets, in those cases, a TDR shall be issued to the passenger and the passenger may apply for refund of fare within ten days from the day of commencement of journey to the Chief Commercial Manager (Refunds) of the railway administration under whose jurisdiction the TDR issuing station comes, enclosing the original TDR. The TDR shall be issued only upto three days after the scheduled departure of the train”.
Lost, Torn or Mutilated Tickets
- No claim for refund is entertained by Indian Railways in case of lost or misplaced tickets.
- Refund of fare will be granted in respect of a torn or mutilated ticket if the authenticity is verifiable on the basis of the particulars visible on the face of the ticket.
- If the ticket is confirmed/RAC, the Railways may permit travel on the same reservation, on payment of charges fixed from time to time.
- Information will be given in advance through media for special trains on special occasions.
Enquiry and Information
- Railway Timetables provide information for different trains. Computerised Interactive Voice Response System is also available at important stations.
- The position of running of trains will be updated regularly and announced on the Public Address System at important stations and also made available on telephone or personal enquiries.
- Indian Railways shall provide catering services through mobile and static units by IRCTC.
- Every effort shall be made to keep railway premises clean and hygienic and regular inspections are to be conducted to monitor cleanliness inorder to identify weak areas and take remedial measures. Toilets under ‘Pay and Use’ scheme are made available at more and more stations.
- Basic facilities like booking arrangements, waiting hall, benches, lighting, drinking water, platform, urinals, shady trees shall be available at all the regular stations. On board a train, lighting and fans, cushioned berths, toilets, reservation charts and destination board will be available.TTEs/Conductors, etc. shall also be available to attend to complaints/grievances.
- Railway Administration would ordinarily reply to the complainant within 90 days, where detailed enquiries are not required to be made and within 120 days, in case of complaints where detailed enquiries are warranted,
Theft of Luggage
- A prescribed FIR Form in English, Hindi and regional languages is available in the Timetable or with ’TTEs/Guards or GRP escort. After filling it up, the Form may be handed over to one of the officials viz., TTE, Guard or GRP escort for registration of the report at the next Police Station.
- All the above services and commitments will be honoured without the citizens having to pay any bribe.
Co-operation from Passengers
- Co-operation of general public is sought to maintain cleanliness, avoid unnecessary chain pulling, maintain cordial relations with fellow passengers and railway staff coming into their contact, abstain from carrying inflammable items, discourage touts. All the above services and commitments will be honored without the citizen having to pay any bribe.