2.3 Crore Applicants for 160,000 Railway Jobs! The World’s mega recruitment drive by Indian Railways is going to be powered by TCS iON which will give Real-time Technology support for smooth conduct of the massive Recruitment drive by Indian Railways for filling up of vacant posts in different categories! Indian Railways gears up for Tight Security, Safety and also plan to run Special Trains to cater to the Huge Rush.
NEW DELHI: The recruitment division of Tata Consultancy Services (TCS iON) might help the government to conduct a job hunt. According to a report, Indian Railways planning to hire for one lakh vacancies announced few months back, in coming months, and as per the latest position, the total vacancies is expected to touch 1.60 Lakh (http://www.railnews.in/railways-likely-to-substantially-increase-the-vacancies-of-assistant-loco-pilots-technicians-from-26502-posts-to-60000-posts/), apart from over 30,000 vacancies in the Railway Protection Force in various Zonal Railways.
This reportedly will be the world’s largest recruitment drive. It is expected that the online recruitment drive, conducted by a private firm like TCS iON will bring efficiency and transparency in the process.
The company is known to conduct country’s most reputed entrance tests such as Common Aptitude Test (CAT) for admission to the Indian Institutes of Management, the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) on behalf of the Indian Institutes of Technology and the All India Engineering Entrance Exam among others.
iON is a strategic unit of Tata Consultancy Services focused on Manufacturing Industries, Educational Institutions and Examination Boards. TCS iON provides technology by means of a unique IT-as-a-Service model, offering end-to-end business solutions. It caters to the needs of multiple industry segments, through innovative, easy-to-use, secured, integrated, hosted solutions in a build-as-you-grow, pay-as-you-use business model. TCS iON serves its clients with the help of best practices gained through TCS’ global experience, domestic market reach, skills, and delivery capabilities. iON’s Cloud Based Solution is highly modular, scalable and configurable giving businesses and educational institutions the benefits of increased efficiencies, faster go to market, predictability of technology as well as spend and better business results.
In 2015, the railways had tied up with TCS iON for pilot test. The tie up was done to conduct Railways’ recruitment exams online to introduce transparency. The pilot ran on TCS’s iON-cloud platform.
TCS won the contract to conduct the examinations after a bidding round organised by the Railways. TCS has earlier worked with the railways on a similar recruitment drive in 2016 which saw over 90 lakh applicants taking the exam.
Meanwhile, it’s been reported that the Railway Board has given its nod to engage retired Indian Railways staff at Rs 1,200 per day, to preserve, restore and revive railway heritage items such as steam locomotives, vintage coaches, steam cranes, semaphore signals, station equipment and steam-powered equipment.
“They have the experience to repair and maintain railway heritage and can also act as coaches for the younger generation. It is not an easy task to keep, say a clock – which is 150 years old – ticking even after all these years. The old hands have that expertise,” a senior railway official told.
The novel step is to focus on preserving its heritage being neglected for years. In a recent meeting with zonal heads, the board has reportedly decided that proper preservation and display of such heritage items needed to be ensured. The board also plans to open a logbook of all major events related to the Indian Railways, both at zonal railways as well as at the National Rail Museum.
By engaging old hands the Railways reportedly wants to ensure that the expertise of maintaining heritage rolling stock and old equipment are passed on and that the existing treasure trove of railways symbolising 160 years of its existence doesn’t get lost.
The principal head of departments have been empowered to hire a maximum 10 retired personnel who have adequate skills for consulting and guiding the process of revival and preservation, according to a railway board letter to the zonal railways issued yesterday.
These retired Indian Railways employees will be placed at railway museums and workshops wherever the maintenance of heritage stocks are required.
World’s Biggest Recruitment Drive – Some Facts:
- The recruitment drive will start from August 9th, and will go on for a month.
- Around 47 lakh people have already applied for the jobs, and out of them, 100,000 shall be recruited.
- Here is the breakdown of vacancies:
- 47 lakh applicants for 26,502 vacancies of assistant loco pilots (ALPs) and technicians (Level 2)
- 19 million applicants for 62,907 vacancies for Level-1 (erstwhile Group D)
- Railways will install close-circuit cameras, mobile jammers, and metal detectors in and around the examination centers to avoid malpractice
- TCS was selected after a stringent selection process, wherein the basic criteria was a yearly turnover of $150 million or more.
- Besides TCS, two other tech services providers have been roped in to provide backend services for the examination.
- The examination shall be conducted across 500 centers, in 15 languages.
- TCS has the capability to support 100 million or 10 crore job applicants for any examination, and they will be supporting this mega recruitment drive with 135,000 compute nodes.
- As we reported earlier, Indian Railways’ decision to go online for this massive exercise will result in saving of 10 lakh trees.