MUMBAI: The process of tendering for all 11 suburban stations in the trespass control project has been scrapped over a technicality. The project to check crossing of tracks was launched just last week by railway minister Mallikarjun Kharge.
The tendering process was reportedly cancelled as the World Bank objected to the separate, stationwise opening of tenders by the Mumbai Railway Vikas Corporation (MRVC) for foot overbridges (FOBs), escalators and elevators.
An MRVC official said on Wednesday that the cancellation would lead to a delay of 15 days at most. “We will soon come out with an invitation for tenders for all the stations on a single date,” the official said.
The project aims to create facilities that discourage track crossing, the cause of deaths every day.
For the Rs 110 crore project, from September the MRVC issued five invitations for tenders on different dates, clubbing at least two stations in a packet.
Tenders for Kanjurmarg and Thane were invited in September. The argument was that since these would be opened and allotted first, the declaration of costs for these works before the opening of other bids would influence the quotes for subsequent tenders.
The MRVC has a $430-million loan agreement with the World Bank for infrastructure upgrade. After placing orders for 72 Bombardier rakes for $110 million, the MRVC hopes to use the surplus money to fund its trespass control project.