In case of cancellation of a train by Indian Railways, an automatic refund is granted for e-tickets. Filing of a TDR or train ticket deposit receipt is not required
NEW DELHI: Indian Railways offers a facility that enables passengers to make advance train ticket reservations up to 120 days in advance for all classes of travel. The Railways carries over two crore passengers per day. E-ticket cancellations are not allowed at railway counters. IRCTC, the e-ticketing arm of Indian Railways, offers the facility of booking train tickets online. The refund amount for tickets cancelled through the IRCTC portal or app is credited back to the account used for booking online tickets, after deduction of applicable cancellation charges.
Train ticket cancellation charges and refund rules
- If a confirmed ticket is cancelled up to 48 hours before the scheduled departure of train, ticket cancellation charges will be deducted at Rs. 240 for AC First Class/Executive Class, Rs.200 for AC 2 Tier/First Class, Rs. 180 for AC 3 Tier/AC Chair car/AC 3 Economy, Rs.120 for Sleeper Class and Rs. 60 for Second Class.
- If a confirmed ticket is cancelled within 48 hours and up to 12 hours before the scheduled departure of train, ticket cancellation charges will be 25 per cent of the fare subject to the minimum flat rate mentioned above.
- If a confirmed ticket is cancelled between 12 hours and up to four hours before the scheduled departure, cancellation charges will be 50 per cent of the fare paid subject to the minimum cancellation rate.
- Cancellation charges are levied on per passenger basis.
- E-tickets cannot be cancelled after preparation of chart. No refund of fare shall be admissible on the ticket having confirmed reservation in case ticket is not cancelled or TDR (ticket deposit receipt) not filed online up to four hours before the scheduled departure of the train, according to the IRCTC website.
- In case of cancellation of trains, an automatic refund is granted for e-tickets. Filing of a TDR or ticket deposit receipt is not required.
Wait-Listed, RAC Train Ticket Cancellation And Refund Rules
- For RAC (reservation against cancellation) train tickets or wait-listed train tickets cancelled up to 30 minutes before the departure of train, refund will be granted after deduction of clerkage charges. According to the IRCTC website, for second class (reserved) and other classes, the clerkage charge is Rs. 60 per passenger for cancellation of RAC and waitlisted tickets.
- No cancellation charge is levied and full fare is refunded to passengers holding confirmed, RAC and wait-listed tickets if the journey is not undertaken due to late running of train by more than three hours of scheduled departure, subject to the condition that the ticket is surrendered prior to actual departure of train.
- For a PRS (Passenger Reservation System) counter ticket, in case of train cancellation, a refund is permissible within three days excluding the scheduled day of departure of train.
- Remember no refund is granted on cancellation of confirmed Tatkal train tickets. If a train is running late by more than 3 hours or train is cancelled, you can file TDR for claiming refund, according to IRCTC.
Mumbai AC Local Train Service: Ticket Price/Fares, Timings, Features And More
Mumbai AC train’s Base fare of the single journey of AC EMU (Suburban Train) will be 1.3 times of the base fare of existing fare of single journey ticket for first class.
Indian Railways has introduced the much-awaited AC local train service in Mumbai. The air-conditioned coaches of the new Mumbai local started its run from Churchgate to Borivali in December. From January 1, the Railways will start operation from Churchgate to Virar. The new Mumbai AC local trains will run on the Borivali-Churchgate section of the Mumbai suburban line under Western Railway, which caters to one of the zones under Indian Railways. Equipped with new features, the train is aimed at ensuring a safer and more comfortable journey for passengers, an official release said.
From January 1, it will run from Churchgate to Virar having 12 services per day, news agency Press Trust of India cited WR chief spokesperson Ravinder Bhakar as saying.
Five things to know about Mumbai AC local fare structure
- Base fare of the single journey of AC EMU (Suburban Train) shall be 1.3 times of the base fare of existing fare of single journey ticket for first class.
- However as an introductory offer for a period of initial six months, the base fare of single journey of AC EMU shall be charged 1.2 times of the base fare of existing fare of single journey ticket of first class.
- The difference between 1.3 times and 1.2 times will be shown in the ticket as discount during the introductory period, according to the press release dated December 24.
- Season tickets: Weekly, fortnightly and monthly season tickets shall be charged equivalent to 5, 7.5 and 10 single journey of AC EMU respectively. No other type of season tickets shall be issued for the time being.
- AC EMU ticket holder shall also be allowed to travel by first class compartments of local trains. The Ministry of Railways also detailed the fare charges of AC local train:
Five features of the new Mumbai AC local train
- The new train service will operate with a fully air conditioned rake with a capacity of 30 tonnes per coach. The new Mumbai AC local will have a passenger carrying capacity of 1,028 seats a total of 5,964 passengers.
- The new Mumbai AC local will operate with stainless steel coaches having straight side walls. The train will operate at a maximum speed of 100 kilometres per hour.
- The coaches will come equipped with automatic door closure systems, LED-based lighting, LED-based coach identification systems (for alarm chain pulling and door malfunctioning) and emergency talk-back systems. The train will not start or take traction if any of the doors is open.
- The Mumbai AC local has been provided with modular polycarbonate seats, aimed at the comfort of passengers, and wide double-sealed glass windows for panoramic view, among other features.
- The rakes are also fitted with GPS-based passenger information systems, equipped to provide features such as passenger announcement, communication (between the driver and guard) and coach displays, among other features.
New Mumbai AC local timings
Indian Railways also shared timings of the new AC local train with effect from January 1, 2018:
The AC train services will not run on Saturdays & Sundays for maintenance purpose, the railway ministry said.
New Mumbai AC local fares/ticket prices
|From||To||Single Ticket Fare||Weekly Season Ticket||Fortnightly Season Ticket||Monthly Season Ticket|
|–||–||1st Class||AC Local||1st Class||AC Local||1st Class||AC Local||1st Class||AC Local|