UMTC tables Detailed Project Report (DPR) of Nagpur Metro

NAGPUR/GURGAON: Gurgaon based consulatncy firm Urban Mass Transit Company (UMTC) has completed a detailed project report (DPR) of Nagpur Broad gauge Metrolinking the city to nearby towns and will submit to the state government soon. The cost of the project is estimated to Rs 418 crore and UMTC board had cleared the DPR recently.

The Nagpur Broad gauge Metro trains will run in four routes to connect the loacal areas. The proposed routes are; Nagpur-Wardha, Nagpur-Narkhed, Nagpur-Ramtek and Nagpur-Bhandara Road.

Accoring to the DPR of Nagpur Broad gauge Metro, the expected ridership of the broad gauge Metro in 2021 on the various routes will be — 5,669 on Nagpur-Wardha; 2,616 on Nagpur-Narkhed; 3,929 on Nagpur-Ramtek; and 2,556 on Nagpur-Bhandara Road. The total ridership is expected 14,700 in 2021.

The cost of the broad gauge Metro tickets would be 1.38 times the conventional railway fare. The minimum fare of the broad guage Metro for distances up to 5 km will be Rs 20 while that above 70 km will be Rs90. The provision of Monthly pass tickets also planned and that will range from Rs 400 to Rs 1,800.

According to the report, the maximum design speed of the broad gauge Metro will be 200 km per hour and the operating speed will be 160 km per hour. The metro trains will have three cars with total carrying capacity of 885 passengers. The three cars with passenger capacity are: driver motor (DM) car – 285, trailer (T) car – 315 and motor (M) car – 285.

Initially, Maharashtra Metro Rail Corporation (Maha Metro) has been asked to buy six set of trains. Another two sets should be purchased in 2041, when the traffic increases.

The cost of the entire broad gauge metro project is estimated to Rs.418 crore. The trains (Rolling stock) will cost Rs.200 crore, automatic fare collection system Rs.11.64 crore, information technology (IT) infrastructure Rs.15 crore, construction of car shed, station upgradation and passenger amenities Rs.23.12 crore, pre-operative expenses Rs.4.97 crore, station integration (Broad gauge Metro and Nagpur Metro) Rs.25 crore, depot Rs.80 crore and taxes Rs48 crore. 30% of the project cost will be borne by Centre and the state government in equity form and remaining 70% will be arranged through debt.

The depot for the Nagpur Broad gauge Metro will be constructed at Khapri while the stabling lines will be constructed at Ajni. The firm UMTC has recommended that Nagpur Metro’s automatic fare collection (AFC) card should also be used for buying tickets for broad gauge Metro.

In the report, the UMTC has also recommended widening of footpaths and roads near Nagpur and Ajni railway stations. Provision of feeder bus services to broad gauge Metro users are also planned.

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail