The Vasai-Virar Municipal Corporation (VVMC) reached out to the Railway Ministry to expedite key railway projects in Vasai-Mumbai: Virar and Palghar region. The VVMC also submitted a proposal to the Railway Minister Shri Suresh Prabhu requesting immediate clearance.
Some of the requests include:
- To start new trains from Vasai-Virar railway stations to the states of Goa, Karnataka and Kerala
- Official halt of every express train at Vasai-Virar
- Increase the frequency of local trains from Churchgate- Virar, Dadar- Virar, Andheri- Virar, Borivali- Virar, Churchgate- Dahanu/Bordi
- To extend Dahanu local upto Bordi
- Special reserved coach in all passengers, shuttles, MEMUs for local vegetable and milk vendors
Vasai-Virar is growing at a rapid pace. Facilities like better infrastructure, connectivity, better academia, social amenities, and women safety have led to a steady rise in the population. These requests from VVMC have been made keeping in mind the increased frequency of travel by Vasai-Virar residents to Mumbai, Gujarat, North India, and South India.
Other request for railway flyovers includes:
- Naringi & Virat Nagar at Virar
- Alkapuri and Central Park at Nalasopara
- Umelman – Rajivali railway flyover at Vasai Road
- A new flyover will be constructed near existing Sopara flyover
- Creek Bridge: Tender process has been started which will be parallel to Naigaum-Bhayander Railway track